Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed an ALI USB PCI adaptor card. it has 2 USB 2.0 ports on the USB card and it has 4 more that connect to this card via a cable and are installed in the front of the computer in the secondary floppy drive bay.
I also have an IBM DJSA 220 removable laptop HDD that I use as a portable storage device. When I plug the portable storage device into the new usb ports at the front of the computer it refuses to find and load a driver for the device and returns the following error message: The device cannot start (code 10). All of my other devices work fine in these front usb ports.
When I plug the device into one of the 2 new rear usb2.0 ports the device is found and a driver is installed and then it spends between 5 and 10 mins looking for the contents of the hdd, when it finally finds them it registers them as not being valid win32 applications, windows also gives me a delayed write failure error message and sometimes it doesnt even register that the drives are there at all.
When I plug this device into my older usb1.1 ports it works fine and even registers the drive and its contents a great deal faster than the usb2.0 does.
Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening??

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings
so your saying basically your pci/usb card doesnt get along with your homemade external hard drive. or visa versa.
try another pci slot for your card, i know, other things work on it, try it anyway.
post back

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
sometimes externals work with either the jumper on slave or without a jumper at all on certain motherboards ...where normally the jumper needs to be on master. would you happen to know where the jumper is placed?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i believe that the diagram on the outer shell of the drive shows the device to be set as a master. however it doesnt say master it says "device 0' then it has a diagram for "device 1" and a diagram for "cable select".

however I fail to understand why the device would work fine with its current settings while plugged into a USB1.1 port but not work while plugged into a USB2.0 port.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
There are some USB 1.1 Devices that will not work on USB 2 With out having the correct drivers installed. Some cards have setting for legasy devices. If your motherboard has USB, will it work in them? some times they are backwords compatable. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The USB ports on the motherboard ARE the USB1.1's that I was talking about in the original post ..... and I have installed the drivers for the device from the disk that came with the device .... so as I have previously said .. I don't understand why it will not work correctly...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
vampyr2005 said:
The USB ports on the motherboard ARE the USB1.1's that I was talking about in the original post ..... and I have installed the drivers for the device from the disk that came with the device .... so as I have previously said .. I don't understand why it will not work correctly...
I was looking at the info for the ALI USB CARDS and they said they should be compatibal. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the ALI USB cards should be compatible with what ???
the USB card is compatible with my system and ALL my other devices work perfectly in the system ..... It is just this one removable drive that is playing up....

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
however I fail to understand why the device would work fine with its current settings while plugged into a USB1.1 port but not work while plugged into a USB2.0 port.
i know, it doesnt make sense
try a different jumper location
post back

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oldmn said:
Have you looked to see if there is a firmware update for your USB device.
I have spent the last 3 hours searching for drivers and or any other updates but have been unable to find anything at all. If anyone else has any ideas on where I might find anything I would appreciate the advice. There is nothing found in google when I search for the hard drives model and drivers. There is nothing on the IBM or hitachi website in relation to my drive, Hitachi website says that they do not provide external download for the hard drives drivers because the drivers are included in windows XP itself.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The strangest thing .... I restarted my computer and suddenly XP has actually loaded a driver for the hdd, however it is still not actually loading the drive partitions that I have setup on it.

This is the drive:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a further update of things that are happening when I try to use the drive. Windows has now actually decided to find and load a driver for the device, however it refuses to autoload the drive partitions while plugged into the USB2.0 in the front of the computer. If I plug it into the USB2.0 PCI card in the rear of the computer it will on occasions (not all the time), load the drives contents, but it gives error messages, (you will find attached snagit pictures of these error messages). When it does load the drives contents my applications show up with a DOS icon instead of their normal icons and if I try to open any of these programs I get an error message telling me that the program is not a valid WIN32 application, however I know that they are all valid WIN32 applications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.