Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install the USB ports on a 2Ghz Celereon system running Windows XP. When Windows starts, it recognizes that the USB ports have been turned on, and then it identifies the make and model of the USB port, but then the system locks. When I go into BIOS and trun off USB, the system runs just fine. What is causing the machine to lock when I turn the USB ports on? Here are the specs of the system:

Celeron 2GHZ Procesor
Matsonic MS9127C Motherboard
VIA P4X400 Chipset (USB is also VIA)
80GB HD
512MB DDR RAM

I would appreciate any input anyone might have.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Do you have your motherbaord drivers installed?
Look in the Device Manager for yellow !, this indicates a possible conflict

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get the chance to install the drivers before the system locks. It locks immediatley after it identifies the USB port...and no, there are no conflicting devices in Device Manager.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
You stated when you into the BIOS and turn off USB you can boot.
Is this a fresh install? Have you installed any drivers for the system yet?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is a fresh install. All drivers for all devices in the computer are installed, as well as all the drivers on the motherboard cd EXCEPT the USB driver. When I try to install the USB driver without the port being turned on, nothing happens. When I insert the cd, it autostarts and I click on USB to install the USB drivers. A dialog box comes up saying setup is preparing to install ....USB Driver, and the bar gets to 100%. After this dialog box disappears, I would expect that the installation program should start, but it does not. Nothing happens at all.

Also, if I didn't mention it before, when I turn the USB ports on, I get into Windows just fine. The yellow dialog box comes up at the bottom right side of the screen saying it found a USB device. After a moment, it then will name the USB device (it will say VIA USB Controller or something like that). At this point it locks. For some reason it can't finish the installation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you done your windows updates? You need at least sp1 for usb 2.0 support. Have you tried updated usb drivers? Are there any devices plugged into the usb ports?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are no devices plugged into the USB ports, the driver is the latest available at both Matsonic and VIA's websites, and I'm running SP2.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a computer that I've recently built from scratch myself. The Windows installation is brand new...I haven't even installed any programs yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you have connected any USB (case front?) to the m/board check that the plugs are on the correct connectors.

My case has front usb, and each wire has to be plugged in separatly. I initially mixed up a 5v and earth connection and could'nt figure out why my USB was not working correctly.

Not sure if this will help, but it's something to check.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It sounds like there is a conflict with the drivers. That is the only reason I can think that the system would freeze.

You said the system was a mutt. How old is the system board? If the USB card is new, are you certain the system board supports USB 2.0?

It sounds like there may have been some issues when install the drivers from the CD. I suggest you go online and download the drivers. run the Install direct off the hard drive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It is not a USB Card. It is the the USB ports that are integrated into the motherboard. I don't have the chance to install drivers before the system freezes. The motherboard was made in 2003.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ah, I missunderstood, I thought that you were installing a PCI usb card.
Install the drivers while the usb is disabled. then enable.

Like I said above, it sounds like the drivers are not installing correctly.
try finding and downloading them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I have partially solved my problem. I downloaded a newer driver from VIA's site, and everything installed without a hitch......almost. I don't know for sure how many components there are to install, but it finds like 4 USB Root Hubs and a handful of other USB related devices...the problem is, after about 6 of these devices, the computer suddnly slows down to the speed of a snail....is the system installing too much stuff?? Just when I thought I was in the clear! :laugh:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.