Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wandering something for some time but never took the time to write it down and ask.
I use my cell phone as my modem occasionally. I have it hooked up and running no problem. THe
part of my question comes in with usb ports. My laptop has 2 usb ports. I always have to plug
my cell phone into the top one, which is the one I had it plugged into when I installed the software.

Whenever I happen to plug it in the bottom port a message pops up that there has been new hardware detected
and then it trys to install it but it fails. My question isn't about why it fails because I realize that
I could reinstall the software for that port but I always thought a usb port is a usb port. Why would I even have
reinstall the software for each usb port? CAn't it see I had already set it up on one of my other usb ports?

Windows xp is the operating system by the ways

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
It depends if the modem is plug and play, which means that you can simply plug it into any USB port on your computer and you dont have to do anything else.

If its not plug and play then its most likely going to require drivers. These drivers will be the ones you installed for the top USB port.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it seems like if I installed the driver for 1 usb port that it should automatically find that driver and be able to use my modem on any port but then again I don't know what is happening behind the scenes

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Think of your usb ports as individual computers. Every usb port needs its own set of drivers in order for hardware to work. Therefore, the whole time you have been connecting your cell phone to the top usb port, the bottom usb has no knowledge of this cell phone being present. If you want to use your cell phone on both the usb ports on your laptop, then your going to have to install the drivers on each usb port.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
it seems like if I installed the driver for 1 usb port that it should automatically find that driver and be able to use my modem on any port but then again I don't know what is happening behind the scenes
I agree with this. Even if the above information is correct, it seems like it shouldn't be this way.

I run my wireless via USB, and have noticed that everytime I move it to another USB plug, I have to enter the security code in order to access the router.

·
Registered
103 Posts
when you p;ug in your cell phone to another USB and you have install software, specify the location and point the hardware assistant to the proper folder or even windows - system32 (- drivers). the drivers should be under system32 or drivers. can't remember which. Once you ahve done this you should n't have to do it again.

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
Cool, this is turning into a "rant" thread. I forgot to mention that, in addition to having to re-enter the security code to access the router if I use a different USB plug, XP also creates a completely different "Wireless Connection". At one time, I had "Wireless Connection 1", "Wireless Connection 2", "Wireless Connection 3", etc... all the way up to 5.

:sigh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.