Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new XP computer yeah! It doesn't have a parallel port boo! My HP1100A printer/scanner needs a parallel port. I bought a bi-directional USB-Parallel cable and the Plug & Play picked up on the printer right away. But even after installing the original scanner software and latest updates from HP, my computer doesn't find the scanner.

I noticed in the printer port (virtual printer port for USB) that the enable bi-directional is greyed out so I don't know how to un-grey it, or even if I have to. I am all out of card slots so I can't buy a parallel port card.

Has anyone had any luck with USB-Parallel cables and scanners? And what did you have to do to make it work?

Thanks,

Donna

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,606 Posts
i'm really a mac guy, but i'll try to help you out. first of all, have you installed the drivers for the cable yet? with the "enable bi-directional" greyed out i am thinking that the computer for some reason can't do that with that setup. also talking with someone that knows more about the older computer protocalls, like parallel, it seems that you may not be able to get any scanner to work on one of those cables. why? well the software writers had a habit of making calls directly to the parallel hardware, and because you don't have real parallel hardware there is nothing for the software to talk to. also printers and scanners used the port differentally- there were at least 3 different ways parallel ports were used, none compatible protocall wise- and the old hardware could switch on the fly, and the cable may not have that kind of ability. so see if there is any info on hp's site or forums, and also that of the cable maker's. good luck.
p.s., how did you fill up the pci slots on a new computer all ready?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No! Don't Say That

Thank you for the response Sinclair. Sounds like you are the bearer of bad tidings. :4-thatsba I promise not to shoot the messanger :1angel: .

I didn't really see any drivers for XP on the driver disk for the cable. XP seemed to pick up on it without incident for the printer portion so I had figured it was working.

I searched hi and low on HP's website. They have stopped supporting the HP1100A printer/scanner a while ago. The last real driver I found for the scanner was for W2000. Although I was told it worked with XP.

The cable manufacturer wants me to ask in Chinese... I think I'll pass. They did confirm it was supposed to work bi-directionally :4-dontkno .

As for your PS. It seems it doesn't take much anymore. With dual modems and a scsi external hard drive. I didn't think about how this nice new Dell computer would obsolete most of my peripherals. :rolleyes: I think this nice cheap computer is about to get a lot more expensive.

Thanks again,

Donna

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.