Tech Support banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Have a system that has a weird software glitch/issue.

USB devices (i.e USB stick, external HDD) are not recognized when plugged into system in Windows 10 Normal mode.
These same devices will work within safe mode.
These same devices will also work within normal mode if plugged in before booting.
However, I cannot then remove and reconnect them,

Obviously the ports all work, as everything works in Safe Mode.

Some Specs:
i9-10900KF
Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X (BIOS Ver F20d)
Kingston SA2000M8500G Boot Drive
Windows 10 Pro - Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.928

USB Drivers:
Intel (R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller -1.10 (Microsoft) - Version 10.0.19041.662
2 x USB Composite Device - Version 10.0.19041.488
USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) - Version 10.0.19041.264

I have tried an in place upgrade of Windows 10 using the media creation tool
SFC and DISM repairs
Remove and reinstall all USB drivers
Cloning across to a different SSD (SATA WD Green 480GB)

Any help will be super appreciated!

·
Premium Member
41,799 Posts
Be sure to plug your USB devices directly into the Back USB ports of your desktop, and not through a Hub and not the front ports because these ports are weaker. Does the external HDD come with it's own power adapter? Your USB ports may not be providing enough power to power USB devices without external power.
If everything works in Safe Mode, then try running your computer in a Clean Boot which has a similar effect.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be sure to plug your USB devices directly into the Back USB ports of your desktop, and not through a Hub and not the front ports because these ports are weaker. Does the external HDD come with it's own power adapter? Your USB ports may not be providing enough power to power USB devices without external power.
If everything works in Safe Mode, then try running your computer in a Clean Boot which has a similar effect.
Thanks spunk.funk.

Sorry I should have mentioned. This is for every USB Port. Front ports for attached to USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 header on the board and the rear ports direct to the motherboard.
The external USHB HDD is just a 2.5" drive connected via USB only, no power adapter for external power.
I will try a clean boot on the system and post back with results from that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update - clean boot worked.
Looks like a service from ASUS (not sure how this ended up in here) is causing the issue.
Will update again when necessary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts