Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, this started when I tried to set up a 4+1 port usb card for my computer. It took me a while to get it set up at first, but now that I have added a mouse to the usb port, the problems are apparent. The mouse will only work when the computer is running. Shutting down and restarting causes the computer to ‘forget’ the mouse and in device manager it and the HID become an ‘unknown device’. A check of device manager showed that the card was sharing an IRQ with the hard disk controller causing a conflict. Windows wouldn’t allow me to assign the IRQs, so I shut down and manually moved the cards around and restarted until I had what looked like the best possible config. which is what I have now. It still doesn’t work however. My old mouse was a serial and the only thing using IRQ 3, so I removed and disabled it freeing that IRQ. Also someone told me to look in CMOS to see if there is a usb option there and disable it if there is. There is no such option in my CMOS. oh yeah, it should also be noted that when the mouse is detected but not working, internet explorer has trouble working. My ethernet card as well as other things is sharing IRQs with the usb. My current working theory is that the mouse won’t work on startup because the computer needs to use the IRQ to power the display. Perhaps when the display is already running (computer is started up) the IRQ can be used to recognize the mouse? Maybe I have the some problem with the network also. If the mouse is working, windows cannot use the IRQ 9 to run the network card, and I then have no internet. This makes sense to me, but I don’t know how to arrange the IRQ without physically moving the PCI cards around. I’ve tried every config. Possible though and am currently on the best arrangement I could find. Here is the System info for my current IRQ setup:
0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 (free)
4 Communications Port (COM2)
5 ES1868 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM)
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 EPSON Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 NEC USB Open Host Controller
9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
9 Linksys LNE100TX(v5) Fast Ethernet Adapter
10 NEC USB Open Host Controller
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
11 S3 ViRGE-DX/GX PCI (375/385)
11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
12 Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
I hope someone can help, this has been driving me crazy!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Personally, I'd use a PS/2 mouse. My laptop does that sometimes too, but never with a PS/2 mouse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately, I can't. I have only one ps/2 port and its being used by the keyboard. they don't really make serial mice anymore, or so they told me at the store, so I need this usb card to work properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.