Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USB modem so I cant connect it to my Router which only has ethernet ports. I want to share the DSL connection between 4 computers. So I thought I would use one of the comps as a server, directly connnected to the internet. This comp is then connected to the router and so are the others.

However I dont know if I should plug the server ethernet cable into the "internet" port of the router or into one of the other port? If I use a normal one I am able to create a network between computers but not to access the internet... I tried with the "internet" port and it did not work either...

I managed to share the connection between 2 of the comps with a crossover cable so the problem is comming from the router... I dont really know what to do? is it a firewall pb? An IP adress problem?

Any suggestion is welcome...

PS: My router is a Netgear FR114P

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The "Internet" port on the router is reserved for your modem's ethernet cable, but you said you only have a USB modem so you can't use the router at all for sharing Internet access unless you bought some kind of USB to Ethernet adapter. If I were you, I would trade that modem in for another one (if you can). Even if you get everything working, USB isn't going to give you the kind of performance that Ethernet can give you.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There is no USB to Ethernet adapter that will function from a broadband modem to a router. I second the suggestion to get a broadband modem that has Ethernet capability.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.