Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My IOmega hdd has been working great until today when I logged on and it said my USB port had malfunctioned due to some voltage error or something like that. If you need more info about that, the messsage usually comes on everytime i log on, so ill give more info if u need it. Yet, it says I can reset it, which I do (after disconnecting the device) and then plug it back in until it gives me that error message again when I log in. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kind of disregard what I said before, I guess I want to know how to up the power limit or voltage limit if that even exists on my USB port. It says my device (my HDD) is over the power limit or voltage limit! PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you have an external AC adapter for your external HDD then you should use it. You can also try it in different ports. If you go to device manager>USB Controllers>Root Hub>Power, you will see each one of 4 hubs has 500mA of power available and should be enough for your external HDD unless it is sharing it with another device. Each hub controls 2 items and will list the devices it has plugged into it. You may find an arrangement that works.

I think there are a few products available that boost the power. You may find an add-on hub that is self-powered thru an AC adapter that may handle what you need...check the specs. Let us know if this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.