Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

For the past year I have been running my P4S800 mobo without a hitch, running a high specced machine with XP Pro installed. However the following problem has been my worst knightmare for the last week....

All of a sudden my pc stopped recognising any USB Memory stick that I plugged into it, front or back. Windows claimed that the device had malfunctioned and that it didn't have any drivers for it, even when I tried to force it into accepting. All 5 other USB devices were and still are running without a hitch (scanner, printer, camera dock, mouse, bluetooth). The memory sticks work fine in every other pc I've tried.

I re-formated the pc (XP Pro), and with just the o/s on it (no updates, nothing installed) it still refused to accept any memory sticks, but would work with all other usb devices. I then started uninstalling the USB controllers, which is were I found the problem. When the SIS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller was unistalled Windows immediately found my memory sticks and they worked fine (all be it in USB 1 mode - I believe the USB Enhanced Controller is the USB 2 bit - correct me if I'm wrong).

The PC is fully up-to-date: all MS updates, BIOS ver 1.9 (or 9. something - the latest one). I've forced Windows into using the Microsoft USB Enahanced Controller driver and the SIS one and still got knowhere. Having scouted the web I haven't come up with much.

Anyone who could shed some light or point me to an updated SIS driver would make my week, as this is such a frustrating problem, with SIS refusing to help, telling me to talk to ASUS - who haven't been much better yet.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
This sounds more like a hardware problem than a driver problem. The EHCI driver is for USB 2. Something in the controller needed for USB 2 may have died but still left USB 1 transactions working. I'd try a system restore to a time before the problem occurred to rule out any software problems. If that doesn't fix it then you probably have broken hardware. I'd just plunk down $15 and get a PCI USB 2 controller card. Some of them have the connector necessary to connect your front panel ports. It's just not worth spending lots of time on something which is that easy to replace. I've looked around for drivers and all I could find were generic SiS USB EHCI drivers for Windows 2000 (ASUS has one here). On Windows XP it may just use the default drivers included with Windows.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've also been comming around to this being a hardware issue. I'll attempt to get hold of Asus at some point again and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the advice on the pci cards - I thinks thats the route I'm gonna go. I've just taken the side off the pc and the USB motherboard header seems to be 9 pins? the pci cards I have been looking at have 5 pin headers on them. I'm loosing something somewhere...!

Thanks for the tips

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
the extra usb that came with my board the plug is a 9 pin plug on one end and goes to a pci slot with 2 ports on the other end

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The Intel standard 9 pin connector is dual USB. The 5 pin connector is a single USB. Some USB cards include the more common 9 pin dual connector. This one has a couple of the duals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.