Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got to college and was forced to download a Cisco VPN client and a Cisco Clean Systems Network to access the internet in my dorm. Upon installing these utilities, when i try to use USB flash drives they are not recognized, the lights on the the flash drive dont light up, and adding new hardware does not solve the issue either.... Whats weird is that my USB external hard drive works fine, my usb mouse works fine, and my usb tv tuner works as well. I've tried this with 3 different makes / models of flash drives all with the same result, any information is appreciated.

Dell XPS Gen2
Pentium M 760
Hitachi Travelstar 7200RPM 60GB
Creative Audigy 2 PCMCIA
1GB DDR2 533MHz
Nvidia GeForce Go 6800 Ultra
XP Pro SP2 w/ all updates

P

·
0 Posts
When removing the USB Flash drive from a Windows 2000 or Windows XP, you should use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the Toolbar. Not using the removal notification and then re-inserting the drive may add an additional entry in the registry. It is reported that there is a point where the drive will no longer be recognized without modification of the registry.
might this have happened ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is you USB flash drive an mp-man26?? (or a very similar look-alike, under a different name but with the same hardware/software). If so, see this page for lots of similar problem.
http://6v8.gamboni.org/mpman-MP-FUB26.html#forum97
Apparently, the mp-man26 loose power for a fraction of a sec., long enough for the system to loose contact, and then the mp-man shut down. The problem seems to be assossiated with some other software that recently have been installed on your computer, but the problem is really a hardware/software problem on mp-man26. Upgrading the firmeware does not solve this problem (unfortunately).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No i dont have that type of USB device, the main one i'm using is a LEXAR jumpdrive sport 512.... any other ideas are appreciated, thanks for the help..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.