1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
U3 USB Flash Drive Program

i recently bought one of these 4GB USB flash drives

http://www.consumableitems.co.uk/productinfo.asp?sc=CONS29541

...the problem is whenever i insert it to a computer it installs a program (.exe) onto it. it gets annoying when i quickly want to save something on it, but it goes through the entire process of installing and configuring....

what will happen if i remove the .exe file. im assuming it should still work as i am not deleting any system (from the USB) files......cos theyr'e usually hidden???

....in other words....is it safe to delete?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It's some sort of security "feature" of the flash drive. See if you can find a file called "autorun.inf" on the flash drive. If you do rename it to something else (doesn't matter what). Once done remove the drive and reinsert it - should now not launch the program.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's some sort of security "feature" of the flash drive. See if you can find a file called "autorun.inf" on the flash drive. If you do rename it to something else (doesn't matter what). Once done remove the drive and reinsert it - should now not launch the program.
re-name it?...what happens if i delete it instead?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Carsey gave you a safe approach

yes; you can just delete the contents of the flash drive; then it will perform as you expect a empty drive

you can also reformat them when desired.

G

·
You should also be very careful when trying to remove U# as I had heard a story where people have tried uninstalling Linux and destroyed there flash drives as that code is built into the thumb drive BIOS.

Just google search: removing U3

(the company has an uninstaller for this):grin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.