Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two 8gb usb flash drives. One is a SanDisk that I got off Ebay and the other is a generic flash drive. In regards to the SanDisk, whenever I transfer music files to it, about 7gb's of it, it transfers to it just fine (although slow!!) but when I disconnect it using the safely remove hardware icon and then connect it to my other computer, it only shows around 50 or 60 songs and then theres a few thousand folders that take up the rest of the space. When I put my cursor over the folder it says it's empty but when I click on it, it says it is 700 something MB's large. All the other songs disappear and I can't delete the folders. I can just format the entire drive. The generic one, which I just got today, copies much faster but does sort of the same thing. Out of 1568 songs that copy to it just fine, only around 200 remain okay and then a dozen or songs are just repeated in the drive a few dozen times each and they won't play, copy, or delete. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if there's a way I can get these flash drives to work properly?? Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

You may be running into a problem with the number of files in the root directory of a storage device.

From memory this was limited to just 512 files a hangover from DOS A problem I first came accross with ZIP drives and disks. The solution there was to create additional new folders and store the files in these.

May be the basis of your problem.

hth

Ceri

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.