Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this problem for months.

When I connect a new USB device, it never finds the drivers for them.

Ive got an Acer Aspire 5732Z laptop with windows 7 Home Premium 64b

To solve this I have looked online everywhere, I've tried:

Removing the root host controllers in the device manager.
Updating my windows 7.
Downloading the latest (of which there where none) motherboard drivers.
Tried disabling the limit of power to the USB host when the laptop is only powered by battery.
Also checked that i have the USB.inf/.PNF , USBprint.inf/.PNF , USBstor.ing/.PNF,
I even downloaded and replaced the same files that I had.
Also looked at other posts here, so I checked the registry files although there is more than just 1 usb part.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
Many USB devices simply use generic drivers (provided by the OS) to function. Those that do not, require installation of the drivers, which are typically provided by the vendor.

So there isn't a simple answer to your issue.

If hardware isn't detected when it's attached, then you most likely have a hardware issue. If the hardware is detected, then Windows will install, or attempt to install, the drivers. At which time you should get an error if it fails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the enumeration process all happens except it fails to install, "Device driver software was not successfully installed".
No pen drives work, except the 1 i have used for the past year. These all use generic drivers, but all the other pen drives fail to install drivers.

The new pen drive i just bought which doesnt install, doesnt have an installation cd ofc and windows doesnt install the generic driver to be able to use it.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
USB memory drives all use generic drivers. There are sometimes issues if you move USB devices between computers with different OS's. I've seen numerous posts here, about it, haven't seen a clear cut solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.