Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this belongs here or in the trojan section but the viruses are all gone now so I figured it should belong here

A computer at my school infected my usb stuck 9cruzer micro 16GB) with a worm virus which started infecting my computer yesterday, I noticed this because 4 different programs which were unknown to me suddenly tried to gain access to the internet:

csrcs.exe
rghgyem.exe
Naxis.exe
ftp_non_crp.exe

I deleted those suspicious files after scanning them through properly on TotalVirus (AVG didn't notice them so I also switched to Avast today)

However during this all when the files were finally gone my USB started acting up and all of a sudden I was given the following message:
Cannot access because it isn't a valid Win32 application

ever since this I haven't been able to access my USb stick or any other stick that I insert, after the message was displayed the drives that were listed in My Computer vanished and even though the stick is being recognized the drive simply won't show up. By this I mean that they are being listed in the "remove hardware" screen. My extrenal disc works just fine, it is my cruzer 16Gb and my MP3 player from Ricatech that no longer function.

I went downstairs to see if my stick would work on another computer and it worked just fine on it, I scanned it and removed this dreadful worm virus and just to be certain formatted the 16 GB stick entirely but the result made no difference.

Another problem that has shown up because of this happens now whenever I start Words, at the time the Win32 error showed up I had a file open in Words that was situated on that USb stick and now every time I start words I get the No Disc error:

Windows No Disc
Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameneters 75b0bf7c 4 75b0bf7c 75b0bf7c

I can either continue, cancel or try again. If I continue Words starts up as usual and does what it is supposed to do, I've read somewhere that this message could be caused due to the non functioning USb stick but frankly I have no idea what to do to fix this.

As for my specs:

Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
SP 3

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU
E6750 @ 2.66Ghz
Clockspeed: 2.14 Ghz, 2.0 GB

Here is also a list of my Devices screen, I noticed that one had a ! sign so I figured it might be handy to post up

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
You may have registry damage/corruption due to the virii.

Do you have an earlier Restore Point you can try to enable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I turned that off several months ago because a virus would come back every couple of weeks in system restore. I had never found the cause of it and because of it I finally decided to switch it off to purge out anything that might be inside it (at the time my system was completely clean)

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
ANY TIME you are going to repair or perform recovery work with an operating system that you can still access files on, you should copy off anything valuable FIRST THING!

Neither of those processes, IF SUCCESSFUL, will cause data loss. Guarantees you won't get!

You should already be copying that important material off in any case - drives can fail at any time taking EVERYTHING with them.

As to the Word problem, sounds like it still expects to work with that interrupted document and can't obviously find it.

I don't do a lot (any actually) work with documents these days so you'll have to get someone else to handle that.

edit: if you have an XP CD, you could try an sfc /scannow first just to see if that will kick in any messed up basic drivers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll make a restore point pronto when I get home and back up my registry

Thank goodness that I had already backed up a large portion on 20 discs a month ago when the registry keys of Premiere bugged and because I was scared the rest would follow I had taken precautions that weekend

could you explain what you mean by this?
if you have an XP CD, you could try an sfc /scannow first just to see if that will kick in any messed up basic drivers.

also if words is still looking for the interupted disc what would happen if I were to remove the drivers of that usb of my pc? normally when you plug in a usb it will read the drivers and work right?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
show hidden devices
then uninstall all listed usb items
turn the computer off
unplug usb plugs
reboot twice
replug in the usb plugs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dai there is one thing though, I was doing what you asked but when I deleted the first one in the list my keyboard stopped working, but when I rebooted it didn't reactivate
I put it in another USb port now but I don't want to end with having all my usb ports useless

edit:
adding this, the error in Words is now gone
The only problem remaining is still the non functioning usb ports

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'll make a restore point pronto when I get home and back up my registry

Thank goodness that I had already backed up a large portion on 20 discs a month ago when the registry keys of Premiere bugged and because I was scared the rest would follow I had taken precautions that weekend

could you explain what you mean by this?
if you have an XP CD, you could try an sfc /scannow first just to see if that will kick in any messed up basic drivers.

also if words is still looking for the interupted disc what would happen if I were to remove the drivers of that usb of my pc? normally when you plug in a usb it will read the drivers and work right?
sfc /scannow first
Thats what I would try, http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
worth a shot, and probably the least chance of messing up the computer.
Of course short of reformatting the HD, you cant be sure the computer is clean of malware.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
you delete all listed usb at once before rebooting
you remove anything plugged into a usb ports also before the rebooting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.