Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i could use some direction. I am using a Canon scanner 5000f. I was having a problem where all too often, i'd get the message that there was an error connecting to the scanner, and i'd have to unplug it and plug it in again. I asked Canon, and this is what they told me:

"The error is related to the amount of power supplied through the USB
cable. Please make sure that the latest driver version for the USB ports
on the computer are installed on the computer. "

i have no idea where to begin, and this problem is driving me crazy. any ideas? thanks!

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
"The error is related to the amount of power supplied through the USB cable." -Canon
That's ridiculous. Your scanner runs on 120V, 60HZ, and consumes 14.5W from its own onboard power supply. It doesn't use the USB for power. The amount of USB power present or not present is not a factor. So with all due respect to johnwill, I don't think a USB hub will help, not in terms of power anyway.

"Please make sure that the latest driver version for the USB ports on the computer are installed on the computer." -Canon
That's not so ridiculous. It is worth a check anyway. But you should be aware that at work my HP 7490c scanner behaves exactly the same way, and I have to do the same thing to get around it! hey... maybe HP oem's Canon?

I have to either power- cycle the scanner, or reboot the PC-- un-/ re-plugging the USB doesn't fix it. I've installed every software update offered by HP, both for the scanner and for the mobo, including scanner firmware, and it hasn't ever completely solved the problem. It happens with all apps, so it's fundamental to the USB/scanner connection, not an app problem. Unfortunately you can't talk to the company about this, they'll all claim it's a user setup issue, never a bug, as you discovered, so you're kind of on your own, just trying one thing after another.

I'm thinking there is something that times out after overnight non-use, and afterwards the PC can't see the scanner anymore. I'm not sure if it's in the PC USB chips/ driver or in the scanner. It could be that ACPI stuff (this PC is configured to use ACPI). Unfortunately I have no other USB devices to compare to (we're not so modern here). But at home on a different platform, we have a USB printer that doesn't need any such babying treatment.

I've learned that USB works by responding to device requests for identification and configuration, when they are first plugged in, or when your PC comes up and has to "enumerate" what's out there. I supposed it's possible that a hub might maintain a slightly different type of connection to the PC, and that is the only reason I can think of why inserting a hub might be worth a try. I can't see how it would be much different that maintaining a connection to a scanner or a printer, but hubs are slightly different beasts, so buying a hub plus another cable might be a relatively inexpensive test-- and you could always use that hub for some expansion afterwards.

Sometimes I theorize they designed this stuff thinking that people always turn their equipment off every night, such that it will get reinitialized the next time it's powered up, and will therefore only needs to work for 12 hours in a stretch. At the same time, I also think not everyone in the world has this problem, it must be only specific OS/driver/mobo/scanner combinations.

See, I seldom use the scanner, but it's always powered on since there's no power switch on it. So any time I want to scan something, I've learned I have to unplug and plug the AC power cord (I keep it looped up onto the table for this purpose); this puts the scanner into "Initializing" mode, and soon afterward I can scan something. Any system reboot works, too. But if I DON'T do either action, then after a timeout I get "Scanner not found" error messages in the scanning app, like you.

But at least it's better than it used to be... I used to have to power- cycle the entire PC! Later I learned that in one of the Win2000 Service Packs that went on --I think it was SP3-- there was a Windows fix for USB Device Enumeration. I'm convinced this fix was what allowed me to avoid power- cycling the PC itself.

Hope this helps in some way, at least letting you know you're not alone...

-clintfan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solved?

Just came here by Google , I had the same prob. with the 5000f scanner, but putting a powered hub between did the trick, It doesn't run completly smooth now, but much better than before. So, even if this scanner is powered a powered hub in between usb helps alot.

thx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.