Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, I started to have a problem with plug and play support... at least I think that's the problem. Ok, so here's what happens. I plug in a USB device... let's say my PSP. Normally, it would show up in My Computer with it's nice PSP icon I customized and it would have a drive letter. Well at one point it stopped showing custom labels and icons, so it would just say "Removable Drive (F:)" and show the default icon. This didn't bother me TOO much, so I just ignored it. Now it doesn't even show up in My Computer. I open Run and type F: and it throws me this error,
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."
Yes, I've already looked at the association for "Drive", and I've already set "Open" as the default. No luck. I've even enabled the super-insecure autorun... The CD, DVD, and Hard Drives all work fine. The only way I can get the USB drives open is to type "explorer f:" or "explorer g:" etc. into Run. When I'm in the drives, they don't have their icons or labels... so they all say "Removable Drive," and when I look at the properties of the drive, it says the file system is RAW, which I know to be wrong (my PSP is FAT32, my USB HD is NTFS, etc.)

So to sum it all up, my problem is this: when I plug in a USB storage device it doesn't show up in My Computer, and the only way I can open it is to type "explorer x:" into Run. Is this a Drive association problem? I've already investigated in registry editor and it seems normal to me; plus my hard drive opens normally. Thank you so much in advance for the help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is your device getting enough electricity?

If it gets it power from the usb port of your computer, then it is possible that it isn't getting enough power (even though it used to). If your USB device has it's own power supply, use it. If your USB device has a second usb cable, use it too, along with the first USB cable. You must insert both usb cables into your computer within a second or two of each other.

If none of that helps, then try the devices in another computer. If it works in another computer then that narrows down the troubleshooting to your first computer. If it does not work in the second computer, then the focus should be on the USB device.

You don't say what brand of computer you have, but Dell's have a history of not supplying enough power to drive USB devices, as well as having other USB issues. The 'cure' is to install a USB expansion card and use those USB ports instead.

At least those are a few ideas to get you started.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

Just to reiterate what Chili said... I've had first hand experience with Dell's faulty USB ports. It isn't too much trouble to pick up replacements and replace them yourself. Or you could just pick up a PCI USB device as Chili suggested. Have you tried other USB ports on your computer? make sure all of your connections are snug, including on the inside of your computer (if it isn't soldered to the motherboard) and the USB chord to your PSP.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the quick replies. It is my computer because it's every removable drive of any kind, not just a certain device, and they all work as expected on my family PC. I built the computer myself; it's not a Dell. The devices are getting enough power because I can use the device as normal as long as i type "explorer f:" in Run. The problem is that the drive won't show up in My Computer, so I'm sure it must be a software problem... Windows XP is my guess. Any more suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. Drivers are all working and everything, the fact that they don't show up in My Computer seems to be the only problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might be right, Windows might be at fault. But you could have a faulty motherboard too. It sounds like it is Windows and the Motherboard that all of these items have in common.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

My best guess would be a repair install. What is does is reinstalls all of your system files. You would lose any updates that you performed to your system. It would be good practice to back up all of your files. Any programs that you installed would still be intact, so you don't have to worry about that. Wait for another reply to see if a repair install would quell your problems.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, well I can't believe I didn't think of that (repair install). I've been repairing other people's computers for a year or so now, but I guess I'm no good at fixing my own :tongue: Thanks a lot, I'll try that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.