Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Kingmax USB 2.0, 1gb drive, and i've noticed that it gets rather warm if i leave it plugged in for long periods, about after 10 mins. I'm just wondering if leaving it in for extended periods could cause problems with overheating. Thanks.

· Registered
25,266 Posts
Hi,

I was looking at older threads and saw your question that did not get a response. You didn't say how "hot" it got, but wanted to say, yes, they do get warm. However, it is nothing to worry about unless it gets very hot. Otherwise, rather warm to the touch is normal in my opinion.

· Registered
25,266 Posts
Hi,

I don't think you have to worry then. You have to understand that some heat is generated by the drive being active, then some heat is generated via transfer from the case and motherboard parts (I/O area) to the drive, because a computer generates heat in the case, motherboard, power supply, drives, video card, and the CPU. These USB drives also do not have any cooling except being out of the case where it is cooler than directly in the case. The most intense heat is generated in the case. Therefore, warmer than normal because of generated and transferred heat. Hope this helps. Have a nice day and enjoy the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.