Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to the forums but this place looks pretty helpful. Well, I need help. For almost a year now I have had problems with my USB not reading my thumb drives or allowing me to use my scanner. I have uninstalled my USB driver and installed an updated driver and still no connection. Funny thing is I can still use with out any problems, my USB Mouse and Printer. Well to make things worse, for Christmas my wife bought me an all in one Lexmark X5470 printer/fax/copy/scanner. We thought that since the old printer worked maybe the new one with all of its functions would work…sadly, no. The printer works but the scanner function does not.

I am but a novice in PC repair and I am in need of some diagnostic and repair assistance. Below is my system configuration.

Thanks in advance!

Epox motherboard nFORCE2 EP-8RDA+
AMD/2100+ 1.7 AthlonXP 2.1 Ghz
512 MB Ram
Microsoft XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
AHANIX Platinum XP 9 Bay Mid Tower
Antec P$ ATX12V 400 Watt dual fan power supply
Phoenix – Award Bios v6.00PG
ATI Radeon 9600XT AGP 128mg AGP
DVD/AOpen 16x DVD Player
nVIDIA nFORCE onboard Audio
Direct X 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hi, Do you get any error messages ?
Are you using the latest drivers ? >>>Latest Drivers Here<<<
Have you gone into your device manager to see if there are any conflicts shown by an exclamation mark ? Click on Start - Control Panel then double click on system (near the bottom of the list) then click on the Hardware tab and you will see Device Manager, click on that to see.

Another thing to try failing none of this producing results, is to turn off and switch the mouse or keyboard into the usb ports that are not seeing the other devices, then boot up and see if it works, if it doesn't it points to a problem with the port itself, if it's driver related hopefully it will show up under the device manager, see if any of this helps.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Please follow through on what 8210GUY has advised you to do. He has given you some excellent points.

Also, if you go into the BIOS setup menu, under the ADVANCED heading, there should be an area called USB Configuration. (bear with we, I don't know your board, but they are pretty universal in some ways).....When you are in there, make sure you have the following options ENABLED:

USB Controller - ENABLED
USB 2.0 Controller - ENABLED
USB Legacy Support - ENABLED

Note #1: They may be worded differently with your board, but you get the picture.

Note # 2: If you make changes, don't forget to save your changes before you exit.

If you make any changes, then reboot and see if they work.

If not, then go to the device manager (You can open that area by clicking on the little + sign in the USB area.) that my fellow team member has spoken about and see if it says the word "Enhanced" in any of those options listed under the USB area. If it does, the right click on that one and select, Update Drivers.

Then, take it for a test drive and see what happens.

One last thing, you do have SP2 installed on this unit, don't you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Do you get any error messages ?I do when I try to access my thumb drive. It will regognize that it is present but when I try to copy a file to or from it it says it can not be accessed. With my printer I get a "Cannot Retrieve Application List" message.
Are you using the latest drivers ? >>>Latest Drivers Here<<<Just updated that driver (thanks by the way) and still get the same message from my AIO printer.
Have you gone into your device manager to see if there are any conflicts shown by an exclamation mark ? Yes I have and it shows no exclamation marks, and in trouble shotting shows no errors.Click on Start - Control Panel then double click on system (near the bottom of the list) then click on the Hardware tab and you will see Device Manager, click on that to see.

Another thing to try failing none of this producing results, is to turn off and switch the mouse or keyboard into the usb ports that are not seeing the other devices, then boot up and see if it works, if it doesn't it points to a problem with the port itself, if it's driver related hopefully it will show up under the device manager, see if any of this helps.
Done this...the mouse and Printing functions work in all my USB drives, no problems. I am now going to access the BIOS and chack that as your partner has suggested. I will get back to you guys in a few. Thanks for you quick help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Please follow through on what 8210GUY has advised you to do. He has given you some excellent points.

Also, if you go into the BIOS setup menu, under the ADVANCED heading, there should be an area called USB Configuration. (bear with we, I don't know your board, but they are pretty universal in some ways)I can't seem to find this option. Is it under the Control Panel/system location? :4-dontkno I went there and didn't find it and I booted into my Board BIOS and didn't find anyhting there either. Sorry I am lost......When you are in there, make sure you have the following options ENABLED:

USB Controller - ENABLED
USB 2.0 Controller - ENABLED
USB Legacy Support - ENABLED

Note #1: They may be worded differently with your board, but you get the picture.

Note # 2: If you make changes, don't forget to save your changes before you exit.

If you make any changes, then reboot and see if they work.

If not, then go to the device manager (You can open that area by clicking on the little + sign in the USB area.) that my fellow team member has spoken about and see if it says the word "Enhanced" in any of those options listed under the USB area. If it does, the right click on that one and select, Update Drivers. None of the areas show "enhanced".

Then, take it for a test drive and see what happens.

One last thing, you do have SP2 installed on this unit, don't you?Yes, SP2 is installed. I will note that I do not have "GWL" on this machine. And I have tried to get it and it will not update. I work at home and my Windows Pro app is part of my firm but my IT guy says he can't get it to validate useing our corporate License.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
To access the bios you need to tap a key upon booting, this will vary from pc to pc, but it's often the del key, failing that F2 is often used as well, but there are a few other methods, if you look at your screen while booting it will tell you what key to press to access your setup, ultimately thats the key you need to press.
Also have you installed sp2 before or after the OS ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
To access the bios you need to tap a key upon booting, this will vary from pc to pc, but it's often the del key, failing that F2 is often used as well, but there are a few other methods, if you look at your screen while booting it will tell you what key to press to access your setup, ultimately thats the key you need to press.It is the Delete Key. I went there and did not find anything referencing the USB
Also have you installed sp2 before or after the OS ?I beilive it was part of the install of the OS, I know it was not installed after.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Did you go into any sub menu's if you have them ? it may be in there, but I cant say I've ever seen a bios without something to do with usb in them, albeit legacy support, but I've always seen something, the thing to remember is not to change anything you don't know about, but don't worry if you think you did something wrong, just exit the bios without saving any changes and you will be fine, the only time touching something in there makes a difference is after you save and exit, if you don't save it (saving is normally F10) then nothing changes no matter what you did in there, so don't worry about investigating in there, just don't save anything unless your sure it is what you want to save, so have a good look through ALL your bios options and you should find something.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Don't have the time right now since I have to work a while before getting back on, but will be on later today and will try to download the manual and take a look at what is in your BIOS setup menu. Can guide you better that way. For me, that is a slow process since this location only has dial-up available. Be back later in the day and if you don't have it solved, will take a look.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I had a bit of time so thought I'd look for you as I have BB, and just as well I did, took me 20 minutes to downloads it lol, so it would of taken you ages, anyway >>>Here<<< is an m$ article that the site directs you to over this type of problem incase it helps.

OK now from what I can see you need to go into your Integrated Peripherals menu, in there you have the following to do with usb, "OnChip USB" "USB Keyboard Support" and "USB Mouse Support"
So it is the "OnChip USB" that needs to be checked there as the other 2 seem fine as your using them, it wants to be set to V1.1 + V2.0 so if it's anything else change it to this, then save and exit the bios making sure not to change anything else unless you know what it does, see if this helps you.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Thanks bunches 8210GUY for downloading and taking care of that. It is great to serve with a team member that pitches in this way. You are right, it would have taken me half the night to download that one, so I will have to be more careful what I promise from now on.

Hope that solves his problem. Have a great day and thanks again..

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
NP lol, I would of done it sooner but as per usual sanity didn't allow until then, but we're all here doing the same thing so no worries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh how i wish it was so simple...

I went into the BIOS and I am sorry I missed the USB references. I found the OnChip USB reference and sadly it was set to V1.1+V2.0...
As I said, I wish it was so simple...
:cry:

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If there is no enhanced word in the USB area under device manager, then most likely the items you want to hook up need USB 2.0 and that is not working or the drivers somehow are missing or did not load properly as they should have.

I would go down again to that area and delete all those items under USB, reboot, then when it finds them, go there again and open it and select "update drivers" for every single item under that heading and update the drivers. Then, reboot and see if that helps.

Post back with results.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well there wasn't "enhanced" at any of the words...i uninstalled all of the USB drivers and let the machine re-install the drivers...they still don't say "enhanced". Did I do something wrong?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

No, you didn't do anything wrong if you have SP2 installed. Did you go and try reinstalling or updating drivers (each and every one) in the USB area since you have rebooted?
Yup
Addendum: Good reading from microsoft on your problem:So you think that I need to get a USB 2.0 controler? It still doesn't explain why a scanner worked on my computer fine then nothing...all at the same time a thumbdrive stoped working. I am sorry, I must sound really dense.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/jones_02august05.mspx

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Hold on the extra USB controller for now until we try to sort this out. Have to leave a few (have company) and will try to get back, but if not will take another look in the morning, depending upon how long the company stays. Gee, what do people think coming by to visit this time of evening???? Anyway, just hold for now and don't buy anything extra and be sure you don't give up.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Well, late comers are gone and it is now about 12:14 a.m. So, back to the problem. I think I might have found something that might help you. HERE is a link that has updated drivers for your USB and is reported to solve some of the USB problems with this board. You will need to scroll down and the area you are looking for is like the below part I pasted in:

Chipset
nVidia USB Drivers v2.1.2.1
Original filename Filesize
nf-usb20.zip 402.65 KB Windows XP MCE, Windows XP
USB Driver for Windows XP (it has been reported it also solves SP2 USB issues)

Give this a try and see what happens. Oh, I did recheck the board specs and this board does have USB 2.0, but without that word Enhanced someplace in that USB area, they are not working IMHO.

Please note: There are also some updated chipset drivers at this link for your board that speak of USB 2.0 not working. You need to evaluate those after you see if the above solves the issue. If it does not, then you need to try those updated chipset drivers. Please also take special note about the sequence of loading the chipset drivers and SP2. Good information even in these download sites.

Post back with /questions/concerns/frustrations/success/stories/anything............know what, I am too tired to think and need to hit the sack, since I have been up for over 18 1/2 hours...........let me know how it comes out..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.