Tech Support banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m hoping someone here can help me, please please!

The connector (I think it’s called) broke off.
At first I didn’t understand why my HDD wasn’t showing up in Disk Utility. No weird sounds or anything. Until just now I figured it out... the connector broke off and that’s why I can’t connect it anymore. 📷 See attached pictures.

Is there some “quick fix” or anything specific I can do to repair and recover my files on it?
Or something specific about what to ask at a Data Recovery shop in my hometown?

Any help is much appreciated! 🙌

Side note: I always make back-ups of everything at least twice but this one was with me on the road and stopped working before I got home to make a double back-up.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
Would a docking station work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t thought of that nor do I own one, but I could try. Wouldn’t the HDD need some sort of connector thing?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
If you have a similar drive you can often swap the circuit boards and use it. Since it's been opened up, I'd copy everything and toss it as soon as you get it working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a similar drive you can often swap the circuit boards and use it. Since it's been opened up, I'd copy everything and toss it as soon as you get it working.
Do you think that that will involve soldering? Or just unscrew the disk and screw it in place in another one?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
the circuit board should just be screwed on normally with small torx screws. there will be one or two small electrical connectors that just unplug.
To be sure it works properly, the drives should be nearly identical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the circuit board should just be screwed on normally with small torx screws. there will be one or two small electrical connectors that just unplug.
To be sure it works properly, the drives should be nearly identical.
Thank you very much. I’m going to order the same HDD and see if I can make it work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts