Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The USB ports on my computer got broken so I was going to put my harddrive into another PC with working USB ports. That's starting to annoy me because there seems to be an endless stream of problems so I had another idea - buy a USB card to go into one of the PCI slots.

I got one (Mercury USB2.0/IEE 1394 PCI Combo Card) and put it in the PCI slot, loaded the drivers etc but there's still problems with it. Every time I plug something into a USB port on it, power seems to be supplied to it but it's not transferring data or anything. For example, my Speedtouch modem. The LED is red when I plug it into the USB so power is getting to it but it doesn't go green to show that it's ready. Another example is my MP3. The LCD lights up but the drive does not show and I can't transfer data to or from it.

Any help would be really appreciated because I'm losing the will to live :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is windows detecting the new devices? If not then the driver you loaded is not working right.

Now, you say you pulled the drive from 1 computer and placed it in another. Did you go to safe mode and remove all the old system stuff so windows would find the new stuff in the new computer? Cipset, audio, video card, usb support, etc..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moving the hard drive is what I was going to do in the first place but decided to do this instead, because I'd rather keep the same comp.

It recognises that the card is there because it says, found new hardware... etc. and in device manager it says that everything is working fine.

I really can't work out why it isn't working :/

Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry, I know this is the 3rd post in a row but the edit button seems to have vanished.

I had a thought, might the problem be something to do with the IRQ thingies?

EDIT: Decided to just stuff it and do a clean install of Windows. Fingers crossed!

(BTW, is there a bug that makes it so that when you log off and then on again, you can't edit posts you made before the logoff?)

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
domharding said:
(BTW, is there a bug that makes it so that when you log off and then on again, you can't edit posts you made before the logoff?)
The Edit button is only visible for about 30 minutes after you post.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
"The Edit button is only visible for about 30 minutes after you post."

I see. Thanks :p

"Question have you went into the bios and disabled the onbard USB ports there may be a conflict"

I was going to but after 10 mins of searching I've decided there isn't an option to do it.

I've never been so annoyed in my entire life. I've just done a clean install of Windows (and lost EVERYTHING because I couldn't back it up onto my pen drive) and it still isn't working.

I'm beginning to lose the will to live.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, the bios options are a bit crap. I'll just have to wait for the reply from Mercury customer support (the make of the USB card).

Cheers for the help :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a thought. Might it be not working becuase I'm running SP1a? I've been reading up on it and I've seen on a few sites that the drivers for USB2 come with SP2.

I went to the comp. shop today to ask for a USB1 card but he said they hadn't seen them for ages and didn't know if they were still made. He said that it might be that some USB thing on the motherboard was broke so even though I have the USB card, it still wouldn't work.

Not really sure what I'm asking here, just some feedback I suppose because I'm out of ideas :)

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.