Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Friends,

For many many years, I have never had a desktop PC, and have always only been using a laptop and its single display. To make working from home easier, I finally purchased 2 display monitors and mounted them on my desk.

I have 1 Lenovo work laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad T490s (20NX002HUS)
and a personal Asus laptop: Asus ROG Strix G15 (G513QM-ES74)

As my Lenovo work laptop has no HDMI ports, in order to plug the monitors' HDMI cables into my work laptop, I had to buy a docking station (QGeeM 4 in 1 USB-C Hub) with an HDMI port, and the dock plugs into the laptop's USB-C port.

USB-C Male End of USB/HDMI Hub:
Audio equipment Gadget Cable Electrical wiring Gas

The cable from the USB-C dock fits and works without any issues into BOTH of my Lenovo ports:
Gadget Audio equipment Output device Font Wood

However, though it looks to be the same shape, the male end of the hub/dock's cable is slightly smaller than the Asus laptop's port and doesn't click when plugged into its single Type-C port. I have a Steelseries Arctis 1 headset, and its USB-C wireless dongle fits into the Asus port without any issues.

Asus USB-C Port:
Output device Netbook Audio equipment Gadget Communication Device

With this issue, I can't make use of my 2nd external monitor which I spoiled myself with, and it's just sitting there, taking up space.

What's the difference between my Asus laptop's USB-C port and the Lenovo's two ports? Do I have to buy yet another adapter to convert the hub's USB-C cable to another USB-C type, so that it fits in the Asus laptop?

Thank you so very much for taking the time to read! If you require any clarification or extra details, please let me know :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 3rd picture circled in Red is a called a USB-C Display Port (DP- Alt Mode)
Thank you very much for the clarification (ps. love your username)!

I was under the impression that, though my Asus' USB-C port had the Display symbol beside it, it was just a premium alternative (same size) and would still have basic USB-C functionality/compatibility.

With this info, I think maybe it's best I get a component that can add a standard USB-C port to any computer, so that it works with the hub (QGeeM 4 in 1 USB-C Hub) I initially bought.

Would something like this be suitable and compatible with the hub?: Amazon.ca

I hope the posting of links isn't an issue here

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,514 Posts
Why not type your question in the Amazon question box to see if it meets your needs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not, indeed. A customer review said I won't be able to output my video as required.

After doing some research, I wasn't able to find any evidence that USB-C display ports (DP - Alt Mode) are a different size from basic USB-C ports. Nor could I find any products like the QGeeM 4 in 1 USB-C Hub that I bought, but instead specifically go into USB-C (DP - Alt Mode) ports.

I tried with another product and, again, it fit into and worked with the Lenovo laptop's usb-c ports, but not the Asus DP - Alt Mode port.

Would you happen to know whether or not USB-C (DP - Alt Mode) ports are actually a different size from basic USB-C ports altogether, and aren't compatible with basic USB-C tech? Google isn't helping much, and this is making me lose hair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts