Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an usb 2.0 external case (3.5'' Noya-3501) for my old 4.3GB Fujitsu hard disk (MPD3043AT). After I connected it to my PC (Windows XP), icon appears at the bottom right corner and device manager/disk drives displays it as a "disk drive" (model not recognized) without any driver installed. It doesn't appear in disk manager nor does windows explorer assign it a drive letter. When I try to update it's driver, my PC loops until I disconnect the case. Disk is partitioned and formatted (NTFS) and set on Master.
Does anyone know how to solve this? I would appreciate any kind of suggestion… thanks! :sad:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
First off, do NOT try to install any 3rd party drivers for USB/Firewire mass storage on XP, you'll only compound your problems.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this same problem and spent about 8 hours trying different things to get my drive to work in the Sabrent drive enclosure I'd bought. Finally, what worked was to switch to a different USB cable (the enclosure came with a bad one), then changing the jumpers to a different position: not master, slave, or cable select, but the jumper position that's next to them and is unlabeled. I think this is equivalent to not having any jumper on the drive at all?

From the forums it seems there are dozens of different reasons drives in USB drive enclosures don't work... this was just my particular case. The drive now works on all my 3 PCs, which run Windows XP Pro, XP Home, and Vista, and also have both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports (it's slow on the 1.1 port).

I've read mixed opinions about whether it's advisable to uninstall all your USB drivers like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.