Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ASUS P4P 800-E Deluxe motherboard that says it has USB 2.0 onboard. I am running Windows XP SP2. I think I read that you don't need to install drivers when running SP2 - that it supports 2.0 automatically. But when I plug my 2.0 jump drive in I get the message that "this drive could perform faster....." and when I go to device manager it shows that I only have standard USB.

Tried downloading current drivers from ASUS website (no CD came with MOBO) and can't find one for USB 2.0 for XP.

Can anyone help??

THANKS!!!

:confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
encountered the same issue

I also encountered the same issue last week when I install WinXP SP2 directly. I have read the information of SP2 from MS site that it also includes the fixes and updates from SP1 and you can install SP2 directly w/o the SP1. Unfortunately, we encounter the same issue. I wonder why. Possible that USB2 in SP2 is not included. :4-dontkno

So, I decided to reinstall WinXP and install SP1, then SP2. That help resolve the issue..

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
There is a USB driver listed for USB 2.0 & win 2000 on the asus site ~~ which leads me to believe the SP-2 is the answer for USB 2.0 updating /

i personally have found drivers that work for win xp also work for win 2K and visa versa / but this is ONLY my personal experience >>> proceed at your own risk

Have you loaded your Intel chipset drivers ?????? (not intel acceleration drivers !!)

regards

joe

here is what the USB driver file package off the mobo CD says

Windows 2000 USB2.0 Driver Installation Guide
==============================================
Introduction:
-----------------
This driver only works with Intel ICH5 chipset & Windows 2000.

Installation:
-----------------
Note: You must go through all below procedures to complete the driver installation.

1. Click Windows [Start], then move the mouse to stay on [Settings].
2. Click [Control Panel].
3. Double Click [System].
4. Click [Hardware] tab.
5. Click [Device Manager].
6. Right Click [Universal Serial Bus(USB) Controller] under [Other Devices],
then click [Properties].
7. Click [Driver] tab.
8. Click [Update Driver].
9. Click [Next].
10. Choose [Search for a suitable driver for my device].
11. Click [Next].
12. Choose [Specify a location] under "Optional search locations".
13. Click [Next].
14. Click [Browse] to specify the file path where the driver is,
e.g. "{CD-ROM}:\Drivers\USB2\2K\EHCI Package\".
15. Click [Next].
16. Click [Finish].

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
What the drive message could be refering to "could be running faster" is

use the USB headers on the mobo / you will need to plug in the USB 78
check page 2-32 of your mobo manual

that usb connector runs at the faster 2.0 version

its worth a try

addendum: look in your device manager under USB contoller
is 2.0 root hub listed in there ???? mine is listed and I didnt install any special drivers ???????? i think the answer lies in the intel chip set driver for your mobo !!

weird / i looked in the download section for your mobo (my model too) and it doesnt list the chipset inf update tool found on the mobo cd / if you want it / email me and I will send it to you / and all this time I have never placed any importance on the mobo CD as I always though you could download everything on the mobo cd off the asus website and better set the downloaded versions would all be newer :(
now I am scratching my head [email protected]#$%^&*()_

[email protected]

regards

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.