Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a usb 2.0 5 port pci card for my dell dimension 8200 computer (it only has usb 1.1 ports). i am running xp with service pack 1. the computer only recognises the card as being usb 1.1, i also tried to install the drivers that came with the card in an effort to get it working. i succeeded at one stage but something very weird happened: i use the card to back up my files onto an external hard drive. as i was transferring the files via the computer (at usb 2.0 speed) all was going well until, several seconds into the transfer it cut off and the computer re-recognized the speed at 1.1. i have tried everything i can think of. i even formatted the computer (altho i planned on doing that anyway), i got the latest drivers off the manufacturer site (QTEC with VIA drivers), i don't think its the pci slot, maybe its the IRQ's, can't get the usb 2.0 driver to work at all now. i've been trying to fix this problem sporadically for weeks now and nothing works. it's so annoying. i also reseated the card and plugged the hard drive cable into different slots in the card. as far as i know xp's service pack 1 should fix the usb 2 problem but it doesn't, even the admins at my college can't help. last time i backed up my files on my hard drive using usb 1.1 it took 9 hours :upset:
thanks for reading this and i hope some of you can help :D

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Try removing the card physically from the computer. Load the driver from the disk that came with the card. Power down, re-install the card. Power up and see if it re-installs.

Also have you tried disabling the usb ports in the BIOS?

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.