Tech Support banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I faxed something fine yesterday but this morning my US Robotics Model 5637 fax (USB) isn't working. At first getting the error message attached. I checked in properties and said anyone can use.

I've unplugged and replugged in several times and rebooted the computer several times and even just turned off and came back and turned on.

Now, it can't even find the fax when I try to print. Just my Canon printer and a bunch of unwanted MS stuff.

Please help me fix as need to use.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,415 Posts
Call the FAX number from a phone. Do you get the "famous" fax tones?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Corday!

I've never placed a number in it and anyway I don't have a cell phone so can't call my own landline. It's not set to receive only send out.

·
26,415 Posts
I know this sounds like a stock answer but US Robotics says if it's not the condition of the cables and plugging into a different USB outlet doesn't work (don't use a hub) and the computer doesn't show the device, then go through the whole installation process again

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's back to saying access denied when try to fax but finding the fax again. Any other ideas?

·
26,415 Posts
Can showing hidden devices in Device Manager (View>Show Hidden Devices) find it? If so a driver update might help. If the problem coincides with a Windows Update, the modem is awfully old and might no longer be compatible. MS Fax & Scan is recommended.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you -- Corday.

It's showing in both hidden and the regular area of device manager; however, it's moved from the printer area earlier today to modems.

The last windows update was 14 May and worked since then. No new driver updates either at US Robotics.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Corday.

I get to page 10 and I don't have a dial up internet connection, so don't know what to place there. I usually have the fax modem dial the fax machine it's connecting to and there are many. So, not sure what to place here.

·
26,415 Posts
I don't either. Hope someone jumps in now. Otherwise we cam both research as time allows. I'm putting the question in a staff help forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts