Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and in need of some assistance urgently. I'm currently at work where one of our Pc's went bad. The problem? it won't come on. Also after changing the power supply, it would come on about once every 5 times i pressed the power button. When it did come on, no video is displayed but a continuous beep is heard with intervals of about 2 - 4 seconds. I've also tried changing the RAM on the system using 2 other sticks but still got the same result. I've removed all add-on cards and tried restarting again but got the same result. My current conclusion is that the Motherboard may have some issues. Anyone can assist by giving any advice? BTW, i'd like to find the problem as soon as possible as i said before I'm currently at work and need to get it up as running soon. Thanks for any advice.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
A repeating short beep "may" be a Power Supply or System Board failure, depending on the Bios.
Please p0st the PC specs.
Pre-built: Brand and Model
Custom build: Brand and model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-PSU.

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
when you changed the psu it is usual to upgrade it not replace it with the same wattage

as when the m/b gets longer in the tooth it needs to pull more power to run it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, Here are the specs, its custom built btw.
MB- GA-K8VM800M (Giggabyte)
RAM- corsair Value select 512mb333
PSU- 450 watts
CPU- Amd Athlon x64

Also, i removed the motherboard, PSU and CPU and replaced it with another. The replacement was an intel P4 Cpu and MB and a 500 watts PSU. Tried booting up and successfully reinstalled windows XP. Leadsa me to believe that the RAM slots on the MB may have been bad because the RAM now works with the other MB as well as the PSU. Whats U guys' take?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, there were no bad capacitors as far as i could see. Also, i think its worth mentioning that a few months back, the RAM was changed because it went bad while in use on the same computer. Haven't tried it again, but i'm almost positive that if i do, it will work. Will give it a shot and post the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.