Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this is quite a pressing issue, i dont know how much time i have but i would like to know ASAP how to protect yourself from someone that says hes gonna e-mail bomb u, plus he already know your e-mail address... PLZ HELP!!! :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem is, he is from the United States, and im in canada... lmfao, btw he did it... i had over 30 pages to erase of e-mails saying "hey, your a ..." replace the [...] by any bad word... anyways is there any softwares to protect yourself?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
problem is, he is from the United States, and im in canada
I don't think that matters. Contact your email provider and RCMP

anyways is there any softwares to protect yourself?
Use the junk mail filter in your email prog. If you want to save them as evidence, set a filter to send the traffic to a certain folder

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yep, easiest thing is to find a way to redirect his e-mails to the junk folder(usually through your filter)... Otherwise what e-mail client are you using?

You could also just do an inbox search for his e-mail and then select them all and delete them. (Though that depends on the client)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Alright, if you're using the webmail client from windows (mail.live.com) then you can delete the e-mails:

- Type the email address of the sender or a key piece of text (e.g. the subject) into the search bar to isolate just the offending e-mails
- Click the select all checkbox
- Click "mark as" and choose "junk"
- Or click "move to" and choose "junk"/"delete"

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eeerrr yeah nvm its hotmail.com thats what i meant :/

also can you press charges on the person that sends you e-mail bombs?

if so, is that valid for federal time? and what happens if that person harrasses you and makes threats to you that hes gonna send more if i dont do this and that, are these actions good for prison time (6 months +)?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Do you know this person or is it just someone you've met online?

If his messages are threatening in any way, contact your ISP, your email provider and the police. Keep any emails that you want to use as evidence against him.

If his messages are just annoying, use filters to block them. All you need to do is set up some filters to block any emails coming from his address or containing certain words in the subject line or body text. You'll never see any more messages from him and he'll carry on thinking that he's harrassing you, unaware that his messages are actually being blocked and deleted.

If you don't rely on your current email address for work, you could abandon it and set up a new one from hotmail, yahoomail, googlemail, etc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well hes actually a friend from one of my friends (although i never met him)

we were having a big fight over facebook me n my friend and i guess his friend decided to e-mail bomb me saying that if i dont say sorry im gonna receive more e-mail bombs and that hes going to freeze my facebook.

since i dont know the guy, can i press charges on my friend as a suspect or will i have to have proofs? (man the law make me dizzy)

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Do people still use Facebook and MySpace? I thought that all went out of fashion last year. :tongue:

Contact your ISP, your email provider and the police. Explain the situation to them and ask what evidence they would need you to provide for them to take the matter further. Also contact the Facebook admin to see if they can offer any advice about securing your Facebook account against attacks.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
To be frank and honest with you FanEAW, i'd advise against taking legal action. Simply because this person is physically able to find you and vice versa. You've already had small arguments escalate to e-mail bombing. A court would dismiss your case because e-mail bombing (whilst tedious and annyoing) is barely ever damaging... And you'd need a lot to prove it was actually damaging.

Just don't let this escalate anymore, there's no point in getting into fights with people you barely know.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buy a gun? :wink:
LOL ^^

To be frank and honest with you FanEAW, i'd advise against taking legal action. Simply because this person is physically able to find you and vice versa. You've already had small arguments escalate to e-mail bombing. A court would dismiss your case because e-mail bombing (whilst tedious and annyoing) is barely ever damaging... And you'd need a lot to prove it was actually damaging.

Just don't let this escalate anymore, there's no point in getting into fights with people you barely know.
ok ill take your advice, but im still letting this investigation in the hands of the OPP.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
and mostly, what i want to know, is E-mail bombing someone with the EXACT kind that i posted criminal? or does it go against the law or even brush up agaisnt the law?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
There is no mention in Canadian Law of electronic harassment or stalking, although it is possible to apply the anti-stalking laws to cyberspace. In Canada, stalking is defined under a general heading of Criminal Harassment. (Canadian Criminal Code Part VIII Section 264)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.