Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'll duplicate this thread into the Mobo forum also as it covers both (I think) I'm contacting on behalf of a friend who hasn't access to the internet now his PC has died. It's a MESH Matrix, 1.4 Gigahertz Athlon based PC bought new about August 2001 with Windows ME installed.

A few months ago the 40 Gb harddisk in the Matrix started to complain intermittantly about being unable to be written to. After a while Windows reported the presence of bad sectors, though Scandisk found no problems. The harddisk then went on to develop horrible noises as the head was thrashed and it proved reluctant to boot. The disk was assumed the problem and tried in a different computer which could not read any data from the drive, the data being reported as corrupted.

As a replacement, two IBM 30 Gb disk were purchased and installed, one being a backup of the other. Within a week the main system disk has developed similar symptoms. Thinking it may be a problem with the motherboard's HD controller a separate HD controller was installed in an expansion slot. This has solved no problems, but the system disk has become damaged to the point that it cannot be recognised on any computer it is attached to.

There have also been other problems such as the BIOS settings changing between boots.

We're now in a position of concern as to what the problems is and where to go from here. Could a fault on the motherboard damage the harddisk? Could it have damaged any other systems? Will a new motherboard be required? The system is needed urgently as it's a primary work PC needed for internet research; a replacement being needed really by the end of the week.

Can you offer any help or information on this problem? Thanks,

Shifty Geezer

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
shiftygeezer, welcome to the forums :D
I've removed the duplicate thread from motherboard forums. We can keep the issue under one roof and we can troubleshoot all the issues in one thread. Easier for everyone to help without going back and forth... :D As far as the problem goes, have you checked the power supply ? is it in good shape ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Merlin,

Sorry about the duplicate thread but I didn't know where it belonged! Is it a HD problem or a Mobo problem?

Hadn't thought about the PSU, but I've been told it's managed to kill another 2 HD's since last post (my brother, said friends flat-mate, is reporting what's going on) so it's a major issue. As the chap's in the middle of some major work he needs a machine ASAP so it looks like he'll bite the bullet and get some new hardware.

I'll suggest the PSU - I've got a spare to try, but we don't want to trashing any more HD's!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude Be careful using "spare PS". I put a spare PS into my PC once and I had the most interesting Fireworks coming out of the back of my PC along with the most interesting burning smell to fill my personal atmospheare. Good thing it did not fry the rest of my components.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
When you say "developed similar symptoms" are you talking about the physical noise, the inability to write, or both?

I don't think there's anything that an IDE-based mobo can do to a drive that would crash it in this manner, standalone controller or built-in. There are no "crash head" or "burn out bearing now" IDE commands as far as I know. The drives are pretty smart themselves, IMO they won't let a controller push them beyond their design limits.

As suggested, I suppose the power supply could be doing something funny, like putting an AC component on top of the DC going to the drives, and making their motors or head actuators do strange things. Maybe I'll email a friend of mine who used to be a HDD designer. But that won't help you get going now.

Is there something else wrong in your environment, like a lot of dust or fine sand in the air, excessive moisture or heat, lack of airflow flowing over the drives (not all drives are able to run cool in ambient air), things like that?

Otherwise I'm more inclined to believe you are the victim(s) of a massive coincidence: a bunch of HDD's all happening to die at the same time. Were those 30GB drives purchased new, or used? I ask because 30GB isn't exactly the standard size anymore. If new, maybe they were on sale for a reason.

-clintfan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.