Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having intermittent mains power outages.
however i'm not always present when these occur.
Does anyone know if there is any way i can monitor the time that they occurred or how long my system has been down on re-boot ?
I Have tried looking at the event logs but have noticed it could be ages before any event is logged while the PC is idling.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Seconded. If the power outages last for less than 15 minutes the UPS will solve the problem completely. It needs to be suited to your computer's specs (for instance a good quality 800VA UPS is needed for a 500W rig) so give us your complete system specs, especially the wattage of the power supply, if you need help chosing one. As for brands APC is considered to be good and Belkin should be avoided.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
When you reboot, the system makes an entry in the System log with Source Eventlog. I know NT 4.0 used to make an entry that the Previous shutdown at <date and time> was unexpected, but I don't recall seeing that in XP. Haven't looked, so maybe it's still there; double click those entries and see.
If not, you can write your own entry to one of the event logs using eventcreate. Just place it into a batch file, then use task scheduler to run it every X minutes, depending on how precise you want to be.
Something like this should work:
eventcreate /L APPLICATION /so PowerFailCheck /T INFORMATION /id 1 /d "The power is still on"

And will produce the entry in the screenshot every time the task runs.

HTH

Jerry

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.