Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
12,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gentlemen, I have upper control arm bushings for my 93 Dakota.
My question is do I have to pull the control arm off the truck? its a 4x4
and I\it looks like I just pull the nuts on the end and tap them out, well beat e living poo poo out of them and remove them :)

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
I would suggest having a look at the videos on YouTube regarding replacing control arm bushings. There may even be one specific to your vehicle.

Even if there is one specific to your vehicle, watch at least several. When it comes to doing this sort of job, there's definitely a right way to do it, and many, many wrong ways. You can pretty quickly determine if the right way is being used if there is a consensus method that shows up. Any one video could have been made by an idiot, but it's not likely that you'll see the same (or very similar) "idiot technique" used repeatedly across examples.

·
12,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea tired that but when I type 93 I get every year but LOL

·
Windows Tech Team
1,012 Posts
This process is very, very similar across vehicles, at least anything even vaguely modern.

All I'm saying is that it's far easier to determine exactly what's involved by taking the time to look at several different mechanics doing that work, no matter what make and model they happen to be working on. If it's the same or very similar to yours that helps, of course, but even if it isn't it's worth seeing how it's commonly done. Particularly how to press out the existing ones and press in the replacements.

·
12,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep that's why keep certain parts my son brings home from his work that way I can practice on things the other day he brought home a ram upper control assembly, the whole thing the guy was in a wreck on 11 and wanted the entire front end replaces if it was damaged or bent at all

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,283 Posts
wolfen, any Dakota from 1987-2003 should be the same on those bushings.

·
12,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, my son is gonna bring his ball joint press home, for installation, but I'm hoping I can do one at a time and use the cold chisel to pound them out the current ones I don't care about condition or if they come apart in pieces

·
12,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wound up getting stock Upper control arms, there is nobody that has bushings for the Trail master uca's, I had to grind about 1/4 inch off eh flat surface of the arm to clear the tire and an alignment at Morris uto here in town was $75

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,415 Posts
Good thing yours is body on frame only needing front end alignment. Later models are unibody.

·
12,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uni body is why I have a pickup, I DO NOT want ANYTHING to do with uni body vehicles

·
12,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its been a whole since I visited this thread, I wound up in Hillsborough getting two Grade A upper control arms and they rubbed the tires because of the 3" extensions for the frame lift, so I modified the upper control arms by cutting off the very tip of the structural support bend and weldig in a support strip behind the outter edge, so far so good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.