Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a ASUS M2V Socket AM2 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD mobo, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2.4ghz processor, Asus EN6600 silent GeForce 6600 512mb video card..

i have two PNY DDR2 PC2-5300 512mb sticks already installed. i bought 2 more sticks of Patriot 512mb 240-pin DDR2 PC2-5300. I tried to install the 2 patriot sticks today but when i installed it nothing came on the screen but everything else was working like my fans/led lights and processor fan. So when i took out the 2 sticks of patriot memory my computer worked again.. the screen came up and ran like normal.

what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Well, my friend. You are only doing one thing wrong. You are trying to put two different brands of ram that won't work together in the computer. I would almost bet if you took the old ones out of the computer and put the Patriot ones in, it would work. They just won't work many times when you mix brand names of ram that are not exact matches. When you buy ram for a newer computer, you always need to have A MATCHED pair to put in there and in this case, two matched pair.

I would suggest that you return the newest ram and match the one that is in there, both with specs and with brand name.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Check your manual for the dual channel RAM population rules. You may still have to use just 1Gb but the dual channel function adds around 15% performance to that.

Just to add too this, if your RAM was already in a dual channel configuration it would be more likely to conflict with different brands because the dual channel function is particularly sensitive to this. If this is so then I think it would be worth trying all four sticks in a single channel configuration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.