Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was told the Millenium I have is a not the full version, it's the version that came out before ME. And it has acquired so many corrupted files, (virus scan has not detected any viruses). First error message was, no modem dial tone, then loadqum had caused an error.., then dw.exe..error, everyday gets worse. Tried loading an older version of registry but that didn't work so now I just want to install Me over this OS version without losing any of my files.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
ME has a system restore feature.....works only so-so but you might want to give that a shot....also If you can handel it...skip me (ME=Mistake edition -seem M$ rushed t get it to market...not a very stable or useful OS....98 runs better) and go right to XP

give more details of your problems and well see what we can do

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay Doonz. This is what I'm going to do for now. I did Restore yesterday...nothing. I'm gonna go and download my Win98SE over the OS I have right now. So with this in mind, that I do not want to lose any of my programs or files, when it asks me if I want to save my system files, I say yes right? Will you just instruct me on reinstalling 98SE without losing my stuff. You are a peach!

Inbliss

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
you cant got to 98 from ME...98 doest know ME exsists it came before it....so to go to 98SE you would havel to reinstall(format...nuke the hard drive...lose your info) if problems are so bad might not be a bad idea...what kind of info are you afraid of losing??...another option might be to get another hard drive...install 98SE make it the master (main drive) make your ME drive the slave then youll have the best of both worlds...IF your system can handel it UPGRADE TO XP...so worth it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Doonz,

Well, let's see here. I'm getting this info second hand from my hubby who may have gotten us into this mess.
Okay, the very first error message when we were able to connect to the internet was (I'm using a friend's computer to write to you because hubby didn't tell me about these messages until recently)
:
Error Messages
1. You must update your ?.inf file. He ignored this all week.
Now, we are getting added messages

2. You have no dial tone. Well every four days we were able to get a dial tone, now we can no do.

3. Loadqum (what is that?) caused an error and will close

4. dw.exe caused error will close.

5. Now we have, an error message window with a red X, "failed to open resource database (aim.rdb)

Does this sound like a virus? Is Windows about to crash? We did a scan but....

We are thinking of bringing it back to the store (computer is 2 years old) and see if they would load XP since Me may be too buggy.

We can go ahead and save the programs he is worried about (we don't have the cd to them a friend put them in, writing program...we would need to do it throuh or Direct CD program)

So is it go buy XP or what options do we have. Right now everything is working except connecting to the internet and we know it's not the modem.

Again, thanks. inbliss

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:coffee:

Well, depending on the program, even saving them to a CD might not guarantee you will be able to use them again after a clean install. Sometimes the original installation program writes new .dll files to your windows\system or system32 directories, they add registry entry's to your registry and such. Copying software files to a CD, and then to a clean install of Windows without the benefit of the original installation program will more than likely fail. :( Maybe not but a good 3 out of 4 times you will need the installation files to put everything exactly were it needs to be, so Windows know how to access it.

Also before going to get XP make sure its compatible with the hardware you have installed you can download the compatibility checker here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Utility/1.0/WXP/EN-US/UpgAdv.exe

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tech.

Can you tell with the sort of error messages were getting what is going on with the computer.?

Since we don't have the full version of ME, (this is what the computer store gave us when we bought the computer and we only have a recoverable) and a friend has the full version we could load, can we do it without losing programs and files?

Inbliss

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:coffee:

* For the Dw error:

You could try this:

Click on start-->RUN
-type in "MSCONFIG"
-Goto the startup tab in the top right hand corner
-uncheck the DW thing

* For the Loadquom error try looking here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q309418

* For the "failed to open resource database (aim.rdb)

It sounds like an AIM (Aol Instant Messenger problem) I would uninstall AIM and Reinstall and see what happens.

As far as I know the only thing you can upgrade M.e to is Win2k or XP, because even if you have the Upgrade Of M.e on your system you cannot upgrade to the Full M.e version. The only difference between the two is that Full Version will allow a clean install without checking to make sure you have a previous version of Windows such as 98 or 95 and the M.e. Upgrade will not. Their both still the same core OS.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Sorry its late....

How do we KNOW its not the Modem..I missed that part....I did see the dial tone once every four days part....try a diffrent line...and a cheap replacement modem might work...

(no sarcasm intended it really is late...going to zzz land after this one)

also was poking around for qw and i got errors for quickbooks, quicken and quake...are any of thoes installed....

Found this site in my hunt....
http://bugtoaster.com/DW15/Reports/AllCrashes.asp?MaxCra****ems=50&ShowApps=TRUE

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.