Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed windows 98 on an IBM 385xd ThinkPad and tried to upgrade with my windows 98Se full version CD (the diskdrive does not work). I followed directions for installing upgrade from IBM web page.

The cd loaded and was humming along until I received this error message:

Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot be upgraded by this version of Setup. You need to obtain the Windows 98 Upgrade.

Message SU0168

I have purchased the Windows 98SE full version and do not wish to purchase any more. Is there a way to get Windows 98 to accept my Windows 98SE full version. I tried going thru BIOS I got the Boot from CD Rom screen which it accepted but the second screen would not give me the "start windows 98 setup from cd rom" I get a blank screen with the cursor blinking in the up left corner. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I would like to thank everyone for all their help with my Gateway desktop knock on wood it is humming along and my granddaughter is very grateful for having a computer to learn on. Now the second dg in line is waiting for this IBM ThinkPad. Without the upgrade to windows98se I won't be able to get her on line using our wireless router. Thank you again.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Why dont you fdisk/ format/partition the drive and install the full version, that is if it was not already installed on another machine. A full install is always recommended over an upgrade :sayyes:

·
retired
1,966 Posts
If you can't boot from CD drive then use the windows startup floppy with CDrom support.

format the drive to clean it for a new install then with 98se CD in drive type E:\setup to start the installation. (assuming dos assigns the letter E for CDrom drive, change as needed)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok. I'm assuming you've got a desktop with a floppy drive and a cd-rom. If the suggestions the other guys gave you fail, I think you need a low-level reformat.
That requires a boot floppy and a screwdriver. It's a last resort, so post back on stu and geekgirl's advice, and if that fails, post us your specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.