Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Vaio XP had been giving me problems recently so I tried to run system recovery to start from scratch. Well something was wrong with the recovery CDs and the recovery failed and now XP won't even run. Now I want to buy Vista and not worry about XP anymore. Should I buy the Upgrade disk or the other retail one?

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
if you are going to purchase vista, you should get the upgrade version, however, if you are currently having problems with xp, xp must be installed for you to use the upgrade version.

You can try formating your drive then try the recovery xp cds.

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
Most of the questions with laptops are about trying to downgrade to XP from Vista Is this a Laptop?
I would buy which ever is cheaper as I prefer a clean install to an upgrade install, one thing to note is that Windows 7 will be out soon it does seem better on laptops then Vista
You could D/L the release candidate beta and give it a try until it is released then purchase it.
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Windows-7/download.aspx

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the problem, I don't know if the Windows Vista installer CD would recognize that I have windows XP installed if everytime I turn my computer on BIOS tells me that the operating system can't be started. I can't get XP to reinstall because there's a scratch on my recovery CD.

If I could find a way to replace that CD, I would be happy with that but if I have to do something else like buy Vista, I want to know whether the upgrader would even work.

·
54,106 Posts
You could order a new set of disks from Sony> http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=PCGFRV27&news_id=8

The upgrade media will look for either windows files on the hard drive or ask for the original disk to verify, I have had it both fail for the reasons you state and read what wanted and continue on a system I thought didn't have a chance.

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
You could order a new set of disks from Sony> http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=PCGFRV27&news_id=8

The upgrade media will look for either windows files on the hard drive or ask for the original disk to verify, I have had it both fail for the reasons you state and read what wanted and continue on a system I thought didn't have a chance.
vista does not ask for original disk to verify. xp or other upgradeable os must be installed for verification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the article about the clean install and it appeared to me that it still required Windows XP to be installed in some way. Am I mistaken?

I also tried to use the link to Sony's website to order new recovery disks, but I couldn't seem to find the disks. My model number is pcv-rz10 rx800. Does anyone else have any success finding the recovery disks on the webvsite?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok well that's weird, the recovery CDs say pcv-rz10 rx800, but the front of the PC says pcv-rx860. I still couldn't find recovery Disks on Sony's website with that number.

I don't to buy the more expensive retail version of Windows Vista if the Upgrade version would work, but if I can get the recovery Disks, I won't even worry about Vista

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
Ok well that's weird, the recovery CDs say pcv-rz10 rx800, but the front of the PC says pcv-rx860. I still couldn't find recovery Disks on Sony's website with that number.

I don't to buy the more expensive retail version of Windows Vista if the Upgrade version would work, but if I can get the recovery Disks, I won't even worry about Vista
you may want to contact sony about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
54,106 Posts
If it's home basic that want yes if you Aero and some other features then Home Premium.
Why not give Windows 7 a try I think you'll like it better, it's free at least for the beta period. Then you can decide which you like better 7 or XP.
Another out if you have a friend with a XP OEM disk of the same version and service pack yours came with your valid product key attached to the laptop will work.

·
54,106 Posts
If it's home basic that want yes if you Aero and some other features then Home Premium.
Why not give Windows 7 a try I think you'll like it better, it's free at least for the beta period. Then you can decide which you like better 7 or XP.
Another out if you have a friend with a XP OEM disk of the same version and service pack yours came with your valid product key attached to the laptop will work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.