Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
UK
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just attempted to upgrade from a Kingston 120Gb SSD to a 1Tb Crucial SSD - followed all the instructions provided by Crucial, i.e. downloaded Acronis from their site and followed all the instructions for cloning Windows 10 onto the new drive - all went without any hitches. So far, so good.

Removed the Kingston SSD and put the Crucial in its place.

Tried to start, but got: REBBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE, OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS ANY KEY

So, I connected Win 10 USB and tried the various start/repair options, nothing doing.

Then tried to start from scratch and reinstall Win 10, but got the message: WINDOWS CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THIS DISK. THE SELECTED DISK HAS AN MBR PARTITION TABLE. ON EFI SYSTEMS WINDOWS CAN ONLY BE INSTALLED TO A GPT DISKS.

I tried to format the drive, but no go there either.

Where do I go from here?

Could it be a faulty SSD? A bad clone? Or?

Thanks in advance for any help available.

Peter

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
326 Posts
To convert MBR to GPT on the fly without messing with the data.

Then you have to tell the BIOS which one is the boot disk.

·
Registered
40,964 Posts
Your new SSD was Initialized as a GPT Disk, Your Kingston SSD was set as MBR disk. When you cloned the disk it converted the new 1TB SSD to MBR. Your Bios is set to UEFI Bios. It the link in thread #2 doesn't work for you, Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Boot tab. It should be set to UEFI Bios, You can Add CRM/Legacy mode and it should boot that drive fine.

·
UK
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your new SSD was Initialized as a GPT Disk, Your Kingston SSD was set as MBR disk. When you cloned the disk it converted the new 1TB SSD to MBR. Your Bios is set to UEFI Bios. It the link in thread #2 doesn't work for you, Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Boot tab. It should be set to UEFI Bios, You can Add CRM/Legacy mode and it should boot that drive fine.
Thanks for both replies.

The Boot is set to UEFI - the only options showing are UEFI, or LEGACY+UEFI - tried both to no avail.

Tried MBR2GPT.EXE having booted from my USB copy of Windows 10 and selected command prompt, which gave various options, i.e. /validate, and /convert - tried both, but no go.

I attach a copy of the result re my second attempt using MBR2GPT.EXE/validate

"Failed to retrieve geometry for disk -1"

BTW, there is only one disk, as I replaced the original as a swap-out.
cmd.gif

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
326 Posts
In that X prompt type this:

bcdedit | find "osdevice"

Hit enter. This will tell you what drive letter has the OS. Change to that drive letter and then run the MBR2GPT.EXE under that drive letter to convert to GPT.

·
UK
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for your replies.

I've used Acronis to format the drive and have installed Windows as a new install.

All up and running and working well.

I have a caddy for the previous SSD and will move over what I need as required.

Thanks again for your time - I really appreciate it.

ATB

Peter

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you both for your replies.

I've used Acronis to format the drive and have installed Windows as a new install.

All up and running and working well.

I have a caddy for the previous SSD and will move over what I need as required.

Thanks again for your time - I really appreciate it.

ATB

Peter
Yeah, whenever you see "X://" You are in no-no land. X is NOT an acceptable drive designation for the purpose of boot function. I went through that same this when I upgraded my 1TB M.2 SSD with a 2TB M.2 SSD. The new drive would do nothing, and cmd prompt gave me the "X:" for the source. Had to go through a similar process to get it changed to a usable drive letter.
xrobwx71 good job!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have just attempted to upgrade from a Kingston 120Gb SSD to a 1Tb Crucial SSD - followed all the instructions provided by Crucial, i.e. downloaded Acronis from their site and followed all the instructions for cloning Windows 10 onto the new drive - all went without any hitches. So far, so good.

Removed the Kingston SSD and put the Crucial in its place.

Tried to start, but got: REBBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE, OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS ANY KEY

So, I connected Win 10 USB and tried the various start/repair options, nothing doing.

Then tried to start from scratch and reinstall Win 10, but got the message: WINDOWS CANNOT BE INSTALLED ON THIS DISK. THE SELECTED DISK HAS AN MBR PARTITION TABLE. ON EFI SYSTEMS WINDOWS CAN ONLY BE INSTALLED TO A GPT DISKS.

I tried to format the drive, but no go there either.

Where do I go from here?

Could it be a faulty SSD? A bad clone? Or?

Thanks in advance for any help available.

Peter
You might need to go into the BIOS and make sure Crucial is selected on Boot

·
Registered
40,964 Posts
X:\sources is the drive letter for a Virtual drive that is usually on the install Media.
If you were successful in cloning, and replacing the drive. As stated, boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab. Move the Crucial 1TB SSD to the First Boot Device. If a UEFI Bios, you can reset it so it is CRM/Legacy and UEFI Bios. Then it should boot properly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts