Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Compaq SR1601NX desktop. It currently has an AMD 3000+ processor (Sempron 1.8 ghz). I was looking to swap the processor for a dual core and have been told in the past that this particular computer could take up to an AMD 5000+ processor.

Looking on ebay at 4400 and 4800 processors, they have some listed as a 939 socket and others listed as AM2 socket. Which one do I actually need? I'm assuming that they are NOT interchangeable.

Also, swapping out the processor is basically a plug n play type application, correct? Once I switch them out and turn the computer on it should just recognize the new processor without any setting changes?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, one other thing, is there a recommendation on WHICH processor? 4200, 4400, 4800? I realize their are slight differences in speed, but is one actually perform better than any other?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Your current processor is a Socket 939 processor. An AM2 processor wont go on a 939 one. You would require a 939 Socket processor. You just need to take out the new processor and put a new one with the heat-sink fan.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
OEM Mobo's are made for the retailer and can be difficult to determine what they will and will not accept. Best solution is to contact the manufacturer and ask what CPU's are compatible with your Mobo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.