Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just got a new PSU and I was wondering, if I purchase a new Intel Pentium D 930 or Core 2 Duo how much of a performance increase will I see? And if there is a large difference what processor would you recommend for a new dual core cpu? I was also thinking about waiting for the new intel motherboards that are coming out and DDR3, but will that be an expensive upgrade?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just 1 minute ago i was reading an article on the new dual core vs pent4. It was talking about that users weren't noticing any advantage. This was due to the fact that Most programs do not take advantage of multithreading(home pc, not servers). Thus they will run on one core which is slower than the single pent4. But if you look to the future i guess more programs will take advantage of this. Also the quad four shipped out. Amd is coming out with their quad four also. I dont claim to know alot about this, but seeing how i just read the article i thought i would relay what it said.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the reply, im gonna try to find that article. And I have a socket 478 motherboard I am gonna upgrade it, is 478 to 775 much of a difference?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I dont think you will be very impressed going from an Intel P4 Prescott 800mhz FSB processor of 3,0ghz or higher & switching to a Pentium D 775 pin set-up

the multi tasking is better, but overall if you end up spending like $500 or $600 you may not be sooo thrilled

you will need new motherboard , new CPU and DDR2 memory & you will need a new video card as the new boards will be PCI express you didnt say which PSU make and model you have, you may or may not be able to bring that forward as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I have an Intel p4 2.26 northwood I am planning on getting a new mobo, and ram and cpu and the video on the motherboard will tide me over till I get, maybe a 7600GT or a 7800GTX. Do you think I should wait until intel perfects there processors? And my PSU is 400w FSP blue storm, seems like plenty for a new mid-range pc. Comes with 20+4 pin connector and one PCI-E connector.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im sorry, but i cannot find that page. I was just jumping around from page to page. I could not find it in my history either. sorry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Really I just used a power supply calculator and it said it would only need about 366 watts on a full load isn't 400 enough? Heres what I plan to use

Intel BOXDG965RYCK LGA 775 Intel G965 Express
Probably just one stick 512MB of DDR2 800
And an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.8GHz I do plan to overclock a little maybe to 2.2GHz or 2.4GHz
A seagate 80GB Ide maybe Sata 3.0GB HDD when I get more money.
And a Sony Dvd burner

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
when you use a power calculator you need to add 30% to the end result
you are talking about a system that is higher specs than mine and mine comes out at just under 600

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What?? I must really be doing something wrong then lol. Idk what though I used the extreme power supply calc added 30% and only got 366 watts. Im not sure why its so low. Ok I just checked a few other power supply calculators and they say the same thing that 400 watts is enough. Dai yours is older right? If i'm correct don't the new C2D's run with a lot less wattage?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
yes you will see a really big improvement going from your P4 which is 533mhz single channel ram to an intel conroe E6300 >>>> which can be eaisly overclocked to the specs of the E6600 providing you get a decent PSU

the Antec Trio rail 650 watt is about $100.00 after rebate / you certainly arent going to match that capability for much under $100.00

I also suggest you consider getting your ram in match pairs >>>> otherwise you will have difficulty matching a single stick of ram later to ger the dual channel perfromance you will need; especially during the time frame you are using the intergrated onboard video, dual channel makes intergrated video perform 20% faster than single channel mode.

I suggest you buy your parts a few at a time as you can afford them, that will keep you movign forward!

enjoy the process

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I dont believe so; because the 400 watt Fortron units (although they are a great compnay) are not the same units as the high class 85% efficient units. Therfore your unit will not really put out 400 watts on an extended duration. The real output of your unit will be more like 300 watts by the time you address the heat de-ratign curve, capacitor aging etc.

another thing to consider, the unit you have most likely is dual rail ?? with PCI express connectors for video card which you wont be using for while.

the amps on each 12volt rail are dedicated to those rails, example = if you have 19amps available on the 12volt rail for your video card and only 10 amps get used by other devices, there are 9amps or 90watts of power that wont be used, as its dedicated to a "leg" which is not in full use. its doesnt get redistrubuted.

that is one of the major reasons why a unit can come up short even though it seems like it should be plenty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the help, great I guess that means I need a new power supply and I just bought this one lol, oh well newegg should take it back for a full refund.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wait a second I tried again and its lower than before, are you guys absolutely sure I even read a review of the same PSU that I have where someone used the E6400 and it worked fine.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well here is my take on this PSU thing.

PSU calculator sais 350 watts.
Add 30% for headroom = 455 Watts
Add 25% to that to make up for PSU defficiency = 568 watts.
Get a quality 600 watt PSU and you wont have to worry :grin:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.