Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Dell Dimension 8200 that came with a 64MB GeForce4 MX420 graphics card that I would like to boost up to 128MB.

I bought a Nvidia 6600, but obviously it would not fit into the slot my old card used. Looks like I need a crash course in graphics cards. Is there an upgrade for this? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4 Posts
GeForce4 MX420 was a AGPx4 slot. the Nvidia 6600 can be eaither a AGPX8 or Pci Express. imm unaware if there any PCI slots for it but it really depends what your going to be doing with your pc...what are you planing to do? maby we can give you some better advise?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
You probably bought a card with a different interface than your computer supports. Depending on the age of your computer, you may have PCI, AGP, or PCI-Express (in order from the oldest to newest technologies).

It's likely that the card you bought is PCI-Express, as the majority of this model is manufactured for this interface. It's also likely that if your computer was manufactured from around 1997-8 to 2004, it will support some kind of AGP slot.

The card model you bought is available with the AGP interface, but there's no way to make the card you just bought work with your computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My son wants to play "Battlefield 2" which requires a 128MB card.

So from what I read, it looks like I need to return the 6600 (PCI express) and get another card that uses a AGPx4 slot. Do they make a 128MB card with that slot anymore?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Performance wise, clock speed is much more important than just amount of RAM. I'm sure they make a 128 version of that with AGP, probably a 256MB version too if you look hard enough.

How much did you pay for the one you just bought? There's a 3rd pary- manufacturer 6600 with 256MB of ram for 113.99. [link]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok from what I see you probably wont be able to play bf2 on your current pc. What probably happened is you purchesed a pci-ex16 video card and tried to put it in the agp slot. Also considering your pc has a agp 4x slot I'd say that you need to bite the bullet and get a new 'puter.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
AGP 4x to 8x isn't really that huge a difference. I would recommend first trying the card in this computer. If it runs poorly, then think about maybe upgrading the motherboard and processor (you might then need to upgrade the case and Power Supply too if they're proprietary to the brand).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Andrew0987 said:
What he said

Deffently. I've tried 3 dells, 2 compacts, and a msi...GATEWAY has Very simple and friendly tech support for any issue with your computer, also there cheaper sometimes with Far better addisions then the other top of the line pc's. if you got the money and really want your son to have the fullest experiance in Battlefield 2...Alienware :p you can never go worng with them ^^ spendy tho :( other then that Gateway...just not a 507Gr model ^^

·
Registered
174 Posts
That Dell will run BF2 with the right card and the right amount of RAM!
Go for a 6600 128MB video card or better and make sure you got at least 512MB RAM.

I don't want to make you Dell haters freak out, but I run BF2 with my Dimension 2350 with 512RAM, P4 2.20 CPU, and a GeForce FX5500 256MB PCI card with no problem!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Beware some early AGP slots were 3.3 volts the later one's went to 1.5 volts. Some are backwords compatible 8X running in a 4X slot as long as the voltage is the same.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I wish I could build a CPU. I'd build one that is 256-bit!

Building your own computer, on the other hand, is fun and exciting! That is if you know what you're doing. If it sounds scary then check around your area for custom shops. Many places offer that kind of service and it's the best way to get quality for a great price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got the Rosewill card with the AGP interface

I started up my computer and all I got was a black screen. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

·
Registered
1 Posts
tjsker said:
My son wants to play "Battlefield 2" which requires a 128MB card.

So from what I read, it looks like I need to return the 6600 (PCI express) and get another card that uses a AGPx4 slot. Do they make a 128MB card with that slot anymore?
I am stuck with a Dimension 8200. I recently upgraded from Radeon 9700 Pro to a Club3D 6600GT 128 Mb card (with AGP slot) because of Battlefield 2. To my surprise, hardly any improvement. So the cards exist, but you must consider this:

It turns out his game is memory hungry - 512 Mb is absolutely minimum! (thats what I have). It later turns out that I have the obsolete - and very expensive - RDRAM installed, so trying to upgrade the RAM is horrible ($200 for 512 kb more)

So: if you can run the game on the current card, dont bother changing it unless you have more than 512 Mb of system memory. the memory is truely a bottleneck in this game.

Best regards,
Lefthander

·
Registered
79 Posts
Lefthander said:
I am stuck with a Dimension 8200. I recently upgraded from Radeon 9700 Pro to a Club3D 6600GT 128 Mb card (with AGP slot) because of Battlefield 2. To my surprise, hardly any improvement. So the cards exist, but you must consider this:

It turns out his game is memory hungry - 512 Mb is absolutely minimum! (thats what I have). It later turns out that I have the obsolete - and very expensive - RDRAM installed, so trying to upgrade the RAM is horrible ($200 for 512 kb more)

So: if you can run the game on the current card, dont bother changing it unless you have more than 512 Mb of system memory. the memory is truely a bottleneck in this game.

Best regards,
Lefthander
lol, rdram,I remember that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.