Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a DELL Deminension L667r using windows 98se. I tired to install a Hawking HM92P in place of the original Aztech MDP3880-w modem. It did not work. Deleted the HM92 and reinstalled the Aztech.......... the computer will not recognize Aztech but shows it as installed under MODEMS. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upgrading modem

Yes I removed the aztech when I tried to install the Hawking modem.

Deleated all modems and installed a Hayes modem from list provided by diagonistic program. It appeared to install correctly but still computer could not communicate with it. (It did install at COM1 PORT.)

Reinstalled orginal modem (Aztech) it installs at COM2 PORT. I would think it should work.......... but it doesn't.

Vernon

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
your mouse is usually using com1 or 2 check which one it is using and install the modem on the other com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upgrading modem

I'll check to see if mouse is using com1. Before any changes were made, original modem was on com1, don't know about mouse. On this DELL computer as far as i know i cannot select a particular com port. When using windows 98 diagnostic program no problems were found.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upgrading modem

Yes, shows (original) modem installed on com2. [Trying to get back to orginal setup.] Diagnosetics could not communiate with modem.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
it has been many years since using 98,get into properties for the modem and youcan set the speed and com port there
from memory you got in through the device manager
i do remember i had the the same problems with changing the modem when i had 98

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You might want to check the "mode" command. I seem to recall using mode to configure com ports, but can't remember what dos versions the com switches were available in

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
start>run-type in "command" (no parenthesis) and hit enter. type mode /? (could be /help) for a list of parameters/available switches. you'd be looking for switches in the form of mode com: (switch)= The mode command gives direct control of the console (keyboard, com ports and lpt (parallel) ports. I used an enhanced version of dos back in the day and can't remember the differences between the versions and available switches. Hope this gets you started on the right path!

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.