Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...first post here. I'm upgrading my hd, and i'm looking at a wd 120gig hd..cavier. se.....I already have a 7200 rpm 40 gig Maxtor 5T040H4..

Here's the hd i'm looking @ http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10032599&langid=EN

Would I be able to use both my hd's (both internal)...perhaps like a drive c and a drive D:....would they be seperate? Could i run a different operating system on each one. Could i transfer files from one to the other. Thx for the help :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the specs for the hd's were different..um like if one had a different interface from the other that would be ok?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
jeze66 said:
if the specs for the hd's were different..um like if one had a different interface from the other that would be ok?
Those two will play fine together, they're compatible. The Maxtor mentioned will also work just fine. In truth, I'd buy the 8mb cache drive that was the cheapest, the difference between ATA-100 and ATA-133 interface speeds is too small to measure on my system here. I have the Maxtor and WD 8mb cache, they seem to benchmark identically.

·
Registered
336 Posts
true...I tested SATA against ATA133 and there was no difference either. A fast machine isn't going to notice any difference...not even 2mb vs. 8mb on mine in real world test using software that I use daily and not benchmarks. Test I ran using Sound Forge, Cakewalk, Photoshop Pro and other intensive editing tools on the same PC with the exact same software installed on different drives (copied one drive to another) only showed less than 100th to 1000th of a second difference between edits...even using a Maxtor ATA133 2mb drive in the mix.

However, benchmarks showed huge differences. Also, old machines with controller cards showed a decent performance increase on software with the ATA133/2mb cache over the older drive.

I'm sure you would be happy with either drive...BUT I LIKE CHEAP TOO!:D

here is an old Sisoft Sandra on my Maxtor ATA133/8mb PIII 1.2 (oc 1.46)

here is ATTO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will i need to buy another card or something like that if my motherboard dosn't support the new hd?

·
Registered
336 Posts
If your board doesn't support ATA133 it will run the drive at ATA100 (if that is what the mobo supports)...the connections are the same. You would need special connections if you went with SATA. I have an ATA 133 PCI controller card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.