Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I just recently bought an Asus Geforce 7600GS AGP card for my hp a737n, and have been experiencing problems booting up since I intalled it. a737n specs: 1 gb of ram, 250W max output power, 3200+ AMD Athlon processor, SiS onboard video, can supply additional information if it's needed.

I unintalled the drivers for my SiS onboard card and shut down. I plugged the Asus card into the AGP slot, and plugged my monitor into the card. When I tried to boot up, the computer gave off a sustained high pitched beep, and nothing displayed on the monitor. I couldn't find a meaning for the sustained beep in any BIOS beep charts I could find.

So, being the computer novice that I am, I uninstalled the Asus card and plugged the monitor back into the onboard video. I tried to boot up, and noting displayed on the monitor, but the beep changed, to a series of interminating identical short beeps. Checked the BIOS beep code chart for that: bad memory. So I removed, switched, reseated, and generally manipulated the memory in any way I could without a change. Tried connecting another monitor to the computer but observed the same result.

Hope I provided enough information, thanks in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
video card and power supply upgrades go hand in hand especially withbrand name computers
you always check that you have enough power before buying the card
put your specs into here
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
based on a quality power supply and add 30% to the end result and that is the min you need
you need a min of 18amps on the 12v+ line

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.