Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read what they are and the differences between the two, but I still have a few questions before whether or not I make the upgrade. I've been using HDDs for all my life and they never failed me yet. Believe it or not my drive from 2006 is still working without any problem even until now so I want a new and bigger drive that would at least last me 10 years as well. In fact all my HDDs that I've bought then on are alive and kicking.

Here are some of my concerns:

1) From researching various sites it said that SSDs have a limited write limit so will that be a big problem? I play with data a lot; not as much as a data center would, but I would say I go around 100GB per day. Knowing this how long will the SSD last me?

2) Once I've reached the write limit they say that the drive becomes something like a read-only USB. In that case wouldn't it mean my SSD is now worthless since I can't write in it anymore?

3) I also read that SSDs never actually erase data so in that context isn't it insecure to store important files in it? Unlike with HDDs where it's easy to nuke a file to oblivion.

4) Price obviously is going to be a big concern. I saw that SSDs come in either MLC or SLC where SLC would last me the longest(?) but wow that price. Is it worth the extra buck for an SSD that will stop writing in the "definite" future vs getting the cheaper HDD that will last me an "indefinite" long time?

I had other concerns but I lost them in thought while writing this so I may update the list in the future.

So assuming that everything just works and no kind of failure happens to either drives which would be better getting? Of course there's the option of getting an SSD for OS and then an HDD for everything else but the above concern still stands either way.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
6,667 Posts
1) Depends on the SSD. A Samsung Pro SSD can handle 150 Terabytes Written over the life of the drive. 150 TBW divided by 100 GB per day, every day of the year, would last 4 years. Note that they come with a 10 year warranty.

The new 3.5" 12TB Seagate Barracuda Pro HD can handle 300 TB per year (900+ GB per day) and comes with a 5 year warranty.

2) Never had one fail on me yet so really don't know. The oldest one I have (Intel) is over 5-1/2 years old is and still going strong. (Runs 24/7/365).

3) Since way back in the early 80's, when I'm done with any type of storage device, it is reduce to mangled little bits with a 10 lb sledge hammer. I've also gone a step further with a few of them and melted them down using liquid oxygen.

4) ~ALL~ drives WILL fail. Some just live longer than others, like us humans. :wink:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.