Tech Support banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - not been here for a long time, but thought it may be a good place for advice.

I'm wanting to (finally) upgrade from a Nvidia GTX 550 Ti 1GB to something more up-to-date.

I've got an Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz (quad core), with 12 GB RAM - I think it's DDR3.

It's a pretty old board but unfortunately I can't remember which model it is; ASUS, I think, and it's about the same age as the card so it's likely capped @ DDR3.

I'm wanting to upgrade to something for ~£150 (£200 max) that will work on my board and give me a decentably noticable graphics upgrade without melting my PC.

Any takers?

EDIT: hold on, I think the board is an ASUS P8Z77-V LX2

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,823 Posts
Unless you're a high end gamer, there's not much gain to expect. If you are, you also need to use the full 16GB of RAM (4X4), possibly a more potent PSU and something like Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB. Again, if you don't game stick with your current unit until it dies, and consider a new one at that point. It's really pretty good for general use.

·
Moderator, - Microsoft Support,BSOD Kernel Dump A
Olfactory training for spam detection.
5,874 Posts
A 1650 Super's the 'safer' bet, same 6-pin connection as the card being replaced. Less likely to require a better/newer PSU.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,823 Posts
MOBO is compatible so all OK.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 12 of 12 Posts