Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With games getting more and more demanding on our machines it's costing us alot of money inst it? under a year ago my pc was undefeatable, could run evry game full no problem now it is slipping, downhill, fast! So the real topic is who has made a really good upgrade lately that was worth every penny for the extra performance and anytips people could give me or i could give them.

Basically post your specs and say a price range and see if someone is interested in telling you what you could get.

My spec:
3000+ Athlon 64 S754
1024mb ram @400mhz
128mb Geforce 6 6600GT
120Gb Hard drive

and in a few months i may be wanting to spend around 300 so what can i get that will really increase performance and be worth it for that much money?

·
Registered
282 Posts
My Specs:

- P4 2.6Ghz Northwood
- ASUS P4P800-VM
- 1024MB RAM PC 3200
- Nvidia 6600GT 128MB AGP 8X (OC'ed to 550 1000)
- 120Gig HD

What I want to upgrade:

- Better mobo than ASUS P4P800-VM this one can't be OC'ed
- OC my P4 to 2.9Ghz or 3.0Ghz with new MOBO
- Better RAM was looking at 2x 512MB PQI Turbo DDR400 RAM, very low 2-3-3-6 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141150
- 2x SATA 36GB WD Raptor Drives, configured for RAID 0 for my system files and my games
- 120Gig HD for data

I didn't do much research when I bought my parts few years ago which I should have done before buying this stuff. Like new I don't want to spend too much money to upgrade my computer.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey we have the same gfx card! i dont think any1 wants to spend alot of money to upgrade lol but it does happen, especially when buying a gfx card but if you spend more you get more. About your ram, if u wanna run latest games even a gig isnt enough anymore, fear recommends 1gig and im sure you know that to run at full you need to be above recommended so i would say go for 2gig 3200 thats wat i mite have soon. I currently have 1gig (2x512) 3200 dual-channel but i have a spare slot so im gonna maybe get an extra gig soon.

Oh yeh i just noticed another thing, you have overclocked your gfx card, i wanna do that if it is safe that is. Tell me your temps all round (CPU,case and gfx card) please. Also what drivers have you got for your gfx card? im using modded drivers (80.40 Xtreme G) they produce abit more heat but thay add 20fps to halo so im not complaining lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
I haven't tried the Xtreme G 80.41 yet, I haven't had much luck with the modded drivers. The best score I've had on 3dmark 03 was with the forceware 77.77 drivers. As far as temperature wise my mobo and cpu run between 40C-48C under stress conditions. I haven't really checked my card temp, I haven't found a utility for it yet but it is pretty safe to OC your gfx card, I wouldn't go over 10% that's when you start seeing artifacts when you play games (IE. some of the texture will start turning green or purple, that's when you know you need to tone it down a bit).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow ur pc runs pretty hot, my case temp is 15 degrees(C) at rest and cpu is 25 degrees(C) not sure about under stress but i dont think it is much hotter than that. gfx card standard temp is 58degrees(C) and 68 degrees(C) under stress, so good temps i would say, what do you think?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I won't post my current because it's in my signature. This is what I'd like...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2GB PC3200
GeForce 7800GTX
500GB HDD all SATA
10/100/1000 NIC x2
DVD-R/RW x2

Nothing will be OC'd in any way or fashion.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ummm......4800+ doesn't exist :1angel:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.