Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on upgrading my video card from a nVidia 7100GS to a Radeon HD 4650, and i'm currently on windows 7.

On previous experience, whenever i did this on windows xp, and tried to change the old video card for the new, if I didnt uninstalled the old video card I ran into quite a lot of problems, having to do a clean installation of windows. Same thing happened once I upgraded my motherboard from a old p4 socket to a LGA775, had to do a full.

somewhere around, I read that with windows 7 this issue was history, but I want to confirm if this is true, as I dont want to install the video card and see that I need to do a clean installation (not that i care, I keep my windows installation in a system partition of my hdd, this way, if i need to format my pc for a clean installation, I dont fret making backups of my data.)

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Yea your not suppose to mix ati and nvidia gpu's on the same system. Otherwise you'll have a much bigger problem then reinstalling the os. Go with an equal nvidia card instead And you shouldn't run into any driver type problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i'm on a pinch right there, my pc part supplier for some reason has ceased to receive nvidia, some kind of trouble with a delivery which came completely damaged and they didnt wanted to take care of responsabilities, so they wont be getting any more nvidia and i'm stuck with ATI, xDDDDD

well, anyway, my question is, can i change any part of my system (videocard, cpu, motherboard) and install it without having to do a complete clean of my windows?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
You can change the cpu , ram , videocard , power supply , or add hardrives w/o a os reinstall. However you can't install a new mobo , or move your os hdd to another mobo w/o and os reinstall.

I would find a different supplier , a supplier that doesn't even carry nvidia cards sounds absolutely terrible. Your machine needs an nvidia card and there are plenty of places to get them , newegg , tigerdirect , ebay , ect..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k, thanks.

Shame none of those sites works on méxico, where i live, htye wont be doing international shipments, so i'm not able to use those services. I find quite pretty neat sales now and then, specially on videogames, xDDDD

thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.