Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know this was posted about back in june by another member, but my questions are a little different.

Ok, so I have a Dell 8200, P4 2.8 Ghz, 512MB PC800 RDRAM, GeForce4 MX 420, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital sound card, 60GB HD, 40GB HD partitioned into 8GB and 32GB, 56.6k dial-up modem, Memorex DVD Drive, Lite-On CD Buner, Sony 17 LCD XP Home

And I'm thinking of upgrading the video card, because the one I have blows beyond belief. I am thinking along the lines of a 6600 GT or a 6800 GT, depending on my available cash. I know I would have to upgrade the PSU, and in order to do that I would have to mod the case to fit an appropriate PSU. (I was thinking about 430W to 460W) So I have decided that it would be easiest (I hope) to just buy a new case with/without a PSU, and trasfer everything into the new case. But because the MB size it not standard, I understand that this would be a problem. So basicly what I want to know is if anyone knows of a case that could hold a Dell 8200's MB? A case with good air flow because I will need to be running a hot video card, as well as a pretty powerful PSU.

Also, would it be more practical to ditch the 8200 MB and try and find an MB that supported RD RAM, and then stick everything on that MB and put that in a new case?

Last question. I do a lot of Photoshopping work, and modeling with 3D Studio Max, and I want a video card that would be able to run those programs with realitive ease. Would the 6600GT be enough, or would it be best to go for the 6800GT?

Any help would be great, and links to cases/motherboards or what ever would be very much appreciated. Sorry the post was so damn long, I just thought you should have the whole picture. Thanks

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I haven't seen a board that support RDRAM in ages, that stuff was terrible! Best bet is to sell that Dell and build a new rig. I also do lots in PS and 3DS Max and I use a 6800GT. In PS it's fine because that's more dependant on system RAM than video prowess. I've brought my 6800GT to a halt in 3DS with the massive detail I use. For that it's about the VRAM on the card due to high polygon counts, maps, and other effects. 256MB is pushing it for me, a 512 Ultra would better suit my needs but I am poor.

You could likely reuse lots of the old parts like the modem, hdd. etc. The RDRAM, though, would have to go. eBay is a nice place for it and many will pay high for it. I also recommend a good CRT if you plan to do any serious photo and 3D work as the color accuracy and detail is massively better than an LCD.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was afriad that the RDRAM boards weren't being made. It's actually not that bad, it's much faster, but it was really expensive and you had to use it in pairs. I don't do extreme detailed things with Max, I've pretty much just started, I've modeled some tires and rims, and am working on a female character, but I don't plan on doing very detailed models anytime soon. I hope to work in that line of business, so if the nessesity arrises, I will get a better card, but because I'm only 16 an don't have a steady source of income, I can't exactly afford a 512 MB 6800GT. I could prob stretch and get the 256 6800GT, but I don't know about that because I would have to take into account teh expenses of a new case, MB, etc. Do you know of any good MBs and some "nice" and not too expensive RAM. Also, any good cases with decent PS's? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.