Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a self built workstation that I use for video editing and graphics, it consists of a dual 1200MP AMD board with 512 ram and a nvidia geforce MX440 video card. I have always ran win2000 up until recently, when due to the need to upgrade some of my software came and it would only run on XP. My system worked great on 2000 all programs and speed was never a problem. I upgraded to XP and ever since then the entire system runs slow, it takes about 2 minutes to start and all the programs are very slow to start and then often crash, the audio cuts in and out. Video plays very badly slow or studdered, or nto at all. I have gone through and updated the drivers on everything, taken out all unecessary programs and processes, ran AVG viruse protection, no virsues and still no change. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Speed up XP's interface

this is an article i wrote sometime ago that shows you different ways to speed up the interface of XP's GUI. these tips will help you get more speed and performance out of your system. without spending much money. or any money at all really.

-+> to speed up interface, go to control panel > display properties, or click on a blank spot on the desktop and right click and select properties. go to appearance, choose effects, then uncheck the following that are listed, if they are unchecked leave them be. "Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips" | "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts" | "Show shadows under menus" | "Show window contents while dragging" if the interface still doesn't whoosh by fast enough for you, use the classic interface rather than the LUNA interface. doing this should produce about 5-10% performance gain, as produced in the PC Gamer Test Labs

-+> icons not showing up fast enough for you? try this easy tip.

open my computer click on tools menu, choose folder options
click on the view tab
and uncheck the very first box that shows up "Automatically search for network folders and printers" apply and ok.

-+> Optimization for the System Restore Feature and the Recycle Bin

System Restore is an awesome feature. admit it, it has helped you. yes it has. it's ok. it helps alot of people. one thing that it does that may hinder your relationship but can easily be mended. the issue at hand is that System Restore on large HDDs takes up alot of space to use for it's restore files. by default it takes 2% of the HDDs space for it's files. on a 40 or even an 80GB drive. it's not that big of a deal. but with larger drives like say a 250GB drive. 2% of that is 5GB! your bare OS is only about 3 GB or so. if that. to limit the space used by SR right click on My Computer, and select Properties, then click on the System Restore Tab, then click on your Drive and click the settings button. move the slider to your desired location.

Now how about that recycle bin? by default it holds space for 10% of your disk. to limit the space used for the Trash right click on your Recycle Bin and select Properties. in the Global Tab select "Use one setting for all Drives" and move the slider. you can configure this for independant drives if you wish.

also another tip for the Recycle Bin is while you are in Properties uncheck the box that says "Display delete confirmation dialog" even though it should say DIALOGUE! though dialog is the synonym for Dialogue. just something else about XP that makes it so great.

-+> turn off the indexing of files.

XP keeps a nice record or Archive if you will of files on your computer, this little archive that is created makes it faster to find the files you are looking for when using the search function. if you don't search that often, why have it slow down your system by filling it with more files? so to turn this feature off go to Control Panel> Admin Tools> Services> then Disable Indexing Service.

-+> Explorer.exe crash on you sometimes? me too. here's how to work around that. open any folder and click on tools go to Folder options, click the view tab, then scroll down and make sure to put a check in the option that says "Launch Folder Windows in a Seperate Process"

so now, if explorer.exe crashes on you and takes the taskbar with it. just hit CTRL ALT DEL then select file> New Task> and type "explorer.exe" no quotes ofcourse.

-+> Delete MSN Explorer, you already use a differnt one right? well if you use some other Web Browser such as Firefox, Netscape, or even just plain jane IE [which has it's benefits you have to admit]. why would you need MSN?

those who use other browsers other than IE. you may be thinking the same thing. but IE comes in handy for those sites that can only use IE such as http://www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ there is a program called IEradicator that will safely remove all instances of IE. [the browser not the explorer.exe so no worries there] but IEradicator is not for use with win2000 or XP.

on with the deletion of MSN Explorer: go to Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> then in the sidebar click on Add/Remove windows components croll down through the list and determine which programs and or services you want to add/remove. and MSN Explorer should be in there. NOTE: some of the entries can be double clicked on for some sub services that can be removed or added. also note. if you don't know what the service does exactly and it is checked meaning it is installed. best leave it along lest you know what your doing.

-+> stop the caching of all them thumbnails! this tip will disable the creation of the hidden file called Thumbs.db the .db file is a database for the directory it resides. it holds the image information of your images in that particular folder. even if you have just one image. the Thumbs.db would show up. to disable this and save space as well, follow stpes below

open a folder> Tools> Folder Options> click the view tab, then enable the "Do not cache Thumbnails"

hope this works for you. let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
If at all possible I'd just wipe it and do a clean install of JUST Windows XP. Upgrading from one OS to another usually yields funny results and poor speed. And if you're doing video you really ought to get more RAM. My friend's PC that he uses for digital video started with 512. We added another for 1GB total and he's amazed at the difference even on his Athlon XP CPU.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
yea i did an upgrade once from 98 to 2kPro and it was sluggish, a clean install is best. then once you do a clean install follow the steps above for even more performance boost!

and yes 512 is minimal these days, atleast a gig for photo editing. i have 1.5GB and i am satisfied, see if your moobo supports dual channel and if so try to get 2 512 dual channels for even more speed gain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

-Thanks for all the advice, I usally would have done a new install, but we are in the process of editing new shows for a current TV show and I needed some software on XP only, hence the upgrade and not new install.
-Quick question: I have a 80 gig hardrive that is partition in a 20 and 60 gig, My OS and programs reside on the 20 gig, and my video files on the 60, if I do a new install can I keep XP from wiping out my partition and only install on the 20 gig side.
-Also is there a better driver or a more optimized driver for the Nvidia Geforce 4, my main problem seems to be video related, if I can get a fix for this I can at least last another couple of weeks before I attempt a complete overhaul. I have the latest drivers from the nvidia site, but wanted to see if one of the earlier ones worked better. As an example of the problems, AE6.5 stops responding on RAM preview playbacks, I can not watch video on any player because of the constant studders and stops and lack of audio and when the computer acts as if it is struggiling ot do anything my audio cuts out for a while.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
yea you can keep the files that reside on the 60GB partition. when you throw in the XP disk and boot into it, you will go through the prompts and opt to repartition and install into the [C:] partition, it should also show how large the size of the partition is anyway

the MX440 is a fairly outdated card by todays standards i believe they run with 64MB memory right? a 128 or 256 would be sufficient, 128 would be your best bet. i picked mine up [ATI Radeon 9200] for about 60$ you can get that now for cheaper about 30-40$ but looking to investing in a new GFX card is worth it in the end any way. GFX, it's not just for Gaming.

and you can get DDR RAM or whatever type of RAM your MoBo supports for faily cheap too. cheap as in possibly 50-60 for the lowlvl brands and up too 80 or so for good quality

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Thanks Everyone,

Looks like it is timeto wipe the drive clean and start fresh, and upgrade my ram and video card, I was hoping on building a new workstation here in a couple of months but time is not on my side.

Any suggestions on a great, but cheap, graphics card for video editing and some 3D graphics?

Thanks Again

PS. If anyone needs television, prgramming, motion picture making and editing info let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.