Tech Support banner

121 - 140 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Well, I just tried with a dual layer 8.5GB dvd, it didn't work. It is somewhat similar to the flash drive. I inserted the disc went into the bios and chose boot override for the optical drive. A message came up saying "press any key to boot from cd/dvd" I did.

Then, it shows me the bios startup screen again- republic of gamers, with three swirling dots, I let it try to do this for a few minutes, then I got a BSOD.

One of the things that was different is, this drive shows the disc as being the full 8.5GB, on this laptop, under windows10 SEPE it shows the disc as being completely full at 4.56GB and no bytes remaining on the desktop. I'm using a program called vso inspector, to see what formats the drive can play and write. VSO Inspector: free CD, DVD and Blu-ray scanning reporting tool for testing your medias and burners

It shows the desktop can write DVD+R DL (I burned in on this laptop, though.) but not whether it can read dual layer dvds.

Even though it says you're creating the disc for another PC with the media creation tool, I wonder if it would make a difference if I downloaded the media creation tool and burned it on the desktop instead. When I download and burn it on this laptop it boots.

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
I burned in on this laptop
Can you boot into Windows? If so, just download the Windows 10 ISO to this computer right click it and choose Mount. This will load a virtual DVD, double click Setup.exe. To upgrade your version of Windows 10.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Can you boot into Windows? If so, just download the Windows 10 ISO to this computer right click it and choose Mount. This will load a virtual DVD, double click Setup.exe. To upgrade your version of Windows 10.
I'm not trying to upgrade windows 10, on any computer right now. I'm trying reinstall it on my desktop. Three flash drives and now a DVD+R DL have now failed to successfully boot first with the media creation tool (with the flash drives) and now the iso on the DVD+R DL

Unless what you are saying is I could boot with the flash drive with windows10 SEPE on the desktop., mount the iso there, and use that reinstall windows on my desktop's hard drive.

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
You don't even need the Flash drive. If you have the Windows 10 ISO image on your HDD, just Right click it and choose Mount. In the Virtual DVD,. Double click Setup.exe and start the install. It will give the option to install and Keep your files, OR do an Install and do not keep Any files. Not exactly a Clean Install, but it will overwrite your current Windows 10 with a fresh one.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
You don't even need the Flash drive. If you have the Windows 10 ISO image on your HDD, just Right click it and choose Mount. In the Virtual DVD,. Double click Setup.exe and start the install. It will give the option to install and Keep your files, OR do an Install and do not keep Any files. Not exactly a Clean Install, but it will overwrite your current Windows 10 with a fresh one.
I'd still rather do a clean install. There MUST be some reason why I can't boot from a flash drive and a double layer DVD with the windows 10. Like I said though, not sure that computer can read them, I don't know why it says the whole disc is full when it isn't when I boot with Windows10 SEPE, do you? Why does the Windows10 PESE bootable flash drive work on the desktop but NOT the windows recovery tool on a flash drive or dvd.

Even if I could do a clean install, I'm told I shouldn't format the hard drive and reinstall windows 10, that doing so would erase the product key, but I didn't enter one, I put one in when I got the computer and when I reinstalled Windows 7 on it a few times, but it didn't ask me for one when I upgraded to Windows 10.

But, I read something else that said if I try to reinstall windows 10, it will just ask me for my previous windows 7 key, which I have, maybe that's ONLY if I don't reformat the drive.

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
I'm told I shouldn't format the hard drive and reinstall windows 10
If you are running a UEFI Bios, the product key is saved in the Bios. If needed, not usually, you can type in your Windows 7 Product key, it doesn't matter if the drive is formatted.
A Clean Install would Delete All Partitions, you would be formatting your drive. If you follow the instructions in post #125 you will Overwrite the previous Windows installation.
I don't know why it says the whole disc is full when it isn't when I boot with Windows10 SEPE
I'm not sure what you mean? The disk will be Full because it has Windows on it already.
The only reason you can't boot from a USB Flash Drive or a CD/DVD is because 1. The drive is not the First Boot Device, 2. It was not burned correctly and the boot disk is not being read correctly
To boot from a USB Flash drive, burn a Brand New, Never used Flash Drive. In the Bios, under the Boot tab, select UEFI and CSM/Legacy boot. Save and Exit.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
If you are running a UEFI Bios, the product key is saved in the Bios. If needed, not usually, you can type in your Windows 7 Product key, it doesn't matter if the drive is formatted.
A Clean Install would Delete All Partitions, you would be formatting your drive. If you follow the instructions in post #125 you will Overwrite the previous Windows installation.
I'm not sure what you mean? The disk will be Full because it has Windows on it already.
I mean the dvd disc, not the hard drive.

The only reason you can't boot from a USB Flash Drive or a CD/DVD is because 1. The drive is not the First Boot Device, 2. It was not burned correctly and the boot disk is not being read correctly
To boot from a USB Flash drive, burn a Brand New, Never used Flash Drive. In the Bios, under the Boot tab, select UEFI and CSM/Legacy boot. Save and Exit.
it's not the first one. I choose boot override to boot from the device right then and there in the BIOS, it has not worked with any of the flash drives or the DVD with the windows iso on it. It's not the second one because I have burned it multiple times, I'm doing it right, I doubt even a brand new one will work but I can try it.

Maybe someone will have an idea what the BSOD has to do with it, it happens during the boot. I even took a couple videos of me trying to boot from both the UEFI DVD drive on the desktop and the P4 (that's the other option to boot from the dvd drive in the bios)

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
Sounds like you are not doing a Clean Install (ie) Deleting ALL Partitions on the Drive at the Where to Install Windows area of the setup.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Sounds like you are not doing a Clean Install (ie) Deleting ALL Partitions on the Drive at the Where to Install Windows area of the setup.
No, I'm not. I can't even get to the setup, the drive with it on it doesn't successfully boot on my desktop.

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
Remove or unplug the HDD and try to boot to your external media. If that is successful, the HDD needs to be replaced. If it also fails, then the RAM has an issue, try removing one RAM stick and boot the removable media. Swap the RAM and slots around, replace if it fails.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Remove or unplug the HDD and try to boot to your external media. If that is successful, the HDD needs to be replaced. If it also fails, then the RAM has an issue, try removing one RAM stick and boot the removable media. Swap the RAM and slots around, replace if it fails.
I've already disconnected the hard drive and tried to boot with my flash drives and DVD, that didn't work either. What about the BSOD I mentioned, maybe that's what I need to solve.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
you can also run Memtest to test each RAM Stick separately from a Rescue Boot USB Flash
Yes, I've done that before, but are you sure it's probably the ram and we shouldn't foillow any of the suggestions first (or other ones) before doing this regarding this specific BSOD?

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
There are 3 things that cause a BSOD, The HDD/SSD drive, the RAM or a Hardware fault on the motherboard, or the Power Supply Unit on a desktop. If you remove all drives (ie)HDD/SSD, CD/DVD drive and all externals and it still BSOD's then it's got to be the RAM or the Motherboard.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,576 Posts
Regarding the BSOD, the age of your hardware and the fact that the Windows 10 PESE media boots just fine while the MCT media doesn't, suggests there is a compatibility (driver) issue between a component on your system and a bundled driver in the MCT media. Like I said before, try an older version of Windows 10. You can use Rufus to download a previous version of Windows 10. Some systems won't upgrade beyond a certain version of Windows 10 because of incompatibility with certain integrated components.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Regarding the BSOD, the age of your hardware and the fact that the Windows 10 PESE media boots just fine while the MCT media doesn't, suggests there is a compatibility (driver) issue between a component on your system and a bundled driver in the MCT media. Like I said before, try an older version of Windows 10. You can use Rufus to download a previous version of Windows 10. Some systems won't upgrade beyond a certain version of Windows 10 because of incompatibility with certain integrated components.
Or another route I could take, if possible is reinstall windows 7 on it, then without putting anything on the hard drive yet, upgrade to windows 10.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
You can use Rufus to download a previous version of Windows 10. Some systems won't upgrade beyond a certain version of Windows 10 because of incompatibility with certain integrated components.
What build would you go with, if I wanted tot totally play it safe, the first/original one I'm guessing.

121 - 140 of 182 Posts