Tech Support banner

101 - 120 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Ok, if I can explore from tthe acronis image I won't use laplink. Here the instruction I will follow, think you linked to them earlier in the thread. It's for my laptop, making it for my desktop.

And, the reason I am saving the whole hard drive is just in case- so that I have everything, I don't intend to reinstall/restore the entire hosed installed, just so I have it all and can get programs from it to reinstall after I reinstall windows.

·
Premium Member
41,796 Posts
If you are installing on a Desktop, You can remove your old HDD with your files on it and install a brand new HDD or better yet SSD and do a clean install of Windows. You then can install your old HDD as a secondary drive and copy the files from it to your new Installation.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
trying to reinstall windows, see this thread now..............

\

Is there a way for me just to post the link itsel, instead of it showing the post? Happened with a link I tried to post to another forum, I just want to post the link itself, not part of what is on the page it links to.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,578 Posts
trying to reinstall windows, see this thread now..............

\

Is there a way for me just to post the link itsel, instead of it showing the post? Happened with a link I tried to post to another forum, I just want to post the link itself, not part of what is on the page it links to.
That is just a preview of the page that you linked to. This is controlled by forum software and unfortunately you cannot disable it in account settings. Simply ignore it. What's important is that you posted the right link.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,689 Posts
Usb booting on older pcs can be problematic, the main reason I always use bootable dvds.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Usb booting on older pcs can be problematic, the main reason I always use bootable dvds.
It's 9 years old, don't think that's old enough to be problematic is it? It won't fit on a booable 4.7GB DVD, maybe a dual layer, but not sure my drive can burn those/use those.

·
Premium Member
41,796 Posts
Most people upgrade to a new computer after 5 years or so. Holding on to old stuff is fine, and it's probably not an issue, but it may not take newer software as easily as a newer computer would, making it...... well, problematic.
The Windows 10 ISO image from this link Download Windows 10 fits on a 4.75GB DVD disc.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,689 Posts
It's 9 years old, don't think that's old enough to be problematic is it? It won't fit on a booable 4.7GB DVD, maybe a dual layer, but not sure my drive can burn those/use those.
Oh yes definitely old enough!

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,578 Posts
To add, some older hardware such as yours, have compatibility issues with the latest version of Windows 10. You may have better luck with an older version, say 1909, then if it boots just fine, you can do an in-place upgrade to v20H2. To download a previous build and burn it to flash drive, you can use Rufus.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Most people upgrade to a new computer after 5 years or so. Holding on to old stuff is fine, and it's probably not an issue, but it may not take newer software as easily as a newer computer would, making it...... well, problematic.
The Windows 10 ISO image from this link Download Windows 10 fits on a 4.75GB DVD disc.
which link on the page are you talking about in particular, the one withj the tool is the one I've been using that doesn't work on a flash drive, it says I need a dual layer dvd to burn it to.

·
Premium Member
41,796 Posts
My Bad, I haven't burned a Windows DVD in several years, it looks like the install size has increased to 4.89GB, so it won't fit on a 4.75 GB Disc, that's why we suggest using brand new, never used USB Flash drives of 8GB or larger.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
My Bad, I haven't burned a Windows DVD in several years, it looks like the install size has increased to 4.89GB, so it won't fit on a 4.75 GB Disc, that's why we suggest using brand new, never used USB Flash drives of 8GB or larger.
Sounds kind of like a pain to need a buy a flash drive for one use only, or at least just to do one thing, one time. I am going to be trying a dual layer dvd, however, to boot it from. I think I should re-connect the hard drive.

At least with a pack of dual layer DVD-R's I could use the other ones for other things.

·
Premium Member
41,796 Posts
A flash drive can be reused and repurposed for several things. A DVD-R Dual-Layer is a one time burn and cannot be repurposed., that is if it doesn't fail the burn or failed to be read by the DVD drive. It's always a good idea to have a Windows installer to troubleshoot your Windows OS.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
A flash drive can be reused and repurposed for several things. A DVD-R Dual-Layer is a one time burn and cannot be repurposed., that is if it doesn't fail the burn or failed to be read by the DVD drive. It's always a good idea to have a Windows installer to troubleshoot your Windows OS.
Well, I could pick up an 8GB flash drive tommorrow along with the DVD's when I get them. Perhaps I should.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,621 Posts
Good idea. You'll find the flash drive useful. Not just a one time thing you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
41,796 Posts
The size of the flash drive should be 8, 16 or 32GB, a 64GB or larger flash drives may not be recognized on an older PC.

101 - 120 of 182 Posts