Tech Support banner

81 - 100 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I can mount the omg files as drives, if I mount them in hyper-v running Windows 7. I've been able to do it Since I can't mount them anymore as drives even with the new version of laplink disc image running windows 7 what I thought of doing was extracted all the file from the mount drives, into a file folder. There's a problem with that though, occasionally I'll get pop ups saying a file name is too long and it can't do it, or that it's a system file and it can't copy it.

Maybe I can make VHD files from them, which can be opened/explored in windows 10, if I create them from the mount omg files.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,578 Posts
Add a second VHD to the VM and restore the omg image to the VHD. I tested the latest version of Laplink DriveImage on Windows 10 and it mounted omg files just fine. No matter, use the restore option (not manually copying files from the mounted image).

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Add a second VHD to the VM and restore the omg image to the VHD. I tested the latest version of Laplink DriveImage on Windows 10 and it mounted omg files just fine. No matter, use the restore option (not manually copying files from the mounted image).
Yes, if you created with with the latest version of laplink diskimage you can mount and view the files just fine, but I created them with an earlier version of diskimage running windows 7, those old omgs can not be mounted in Windows 10.

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
Sorry but from a simple stand point your problem is the version of laplink being outdated and that you have control of.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Sorry but from a simple stand point your problem is the version of laplink being outdated and that you have control of.
Why do you think that would work? The files are old and created with another version of Laplink diskimage running windows 7. You think mounting them with the latest version of Laplink diskimage on Windows 10 would work even though they weren't created with that version and OS?

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
Going on the possibilty that a new version may be backward compatible, but do your due dillingence and check it out as to whether the new version is.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Going on the possibilty that a new version may be backward compatible, but do your due dillingence and check it out as to whether the new version is.
Just tried mounting the old omgs I created with laplink disk image 5 with laplink disc image 10 and windows 10, it doesn't work I get an error message.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·

Above is the message I get when I try to mount the omgs using Laplink 5 In windows 10. Below is what I get when I try to mount the image in Windows 10 Using Laplink 10. I've talked to Laplink and they're currently investigating it/their techs are on it.; They told me I wouldn't be able to mount it in Windows 10 using Laplink 5, but with Laplink 10 it should be working and isn't for some reason.

·
5,578 Posts
You have other options besides mounting the images. Restore the images to VHDs then retrieve what you need from them. You can also try converting them to VHD using Laplink.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
You have other options besides mounting the images. Restore the images to VHDs then retrieve what you need from them. You can also try converting them to VHD using Laplink.
This is exactly what I want to/have been trying to do. Mount the images then make VHDs out of them (though didn't know laplink can convert OMG's to VHDs) See this thread

Creating vhd or vhdx in Windows 10 with disk management in post one, I link to the instructions, but I am confused because I don't remember it containing this many steps, all I need was create the VHD/VHDX and mount it with disc management, I don't recall having to do the steps beyond step 8.

To be clear, a VHD/VHDx is an image of the entire hard drive, correct? That's what I'm trying to create and mount since I can't mount the omg files.

·
5,578 Posts
Instead of getting confused by the number of steps in that Windows Central tutorial, why don't you simply follow them? They are detailed, precise and illustrated. It doesn't get any simpler or clearer than that.

Alternatively, since you have a Hyper-v virtual machine running Windows 7 and Laplink 5, add an extra disk (vhd or vhdx) to the virtual machine using the hyper-v manager. This will show up as an extra disk in the Windows 7 vm. Using disk management in the vm, initialize the extra disk, format it then copy the files you need from the mounted omg files to it. See add disk to hyper-v virtual machine - Google Search

·
Premium Member
41,799 Posts
If you have finished the Upgrade, go to Settings/Update and Security/Activation it will tell you if Windows 10 is Activated or not. It shouldn't need to be. If need to, click Change Product Key ;link and type in your Windows 7 Product key.,

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I;m trying to do the final steps before the reinstall. The last two things I wanted to do were make a full backup of the hard drive with Acronis, that is done. The very final thing I wanted to do was make a disc image with laplink disc image, mount it and explore it- see if I can see and access all the files.

Unfortunately with that last step, I have tried to do so and ran into problems. I tried to mount the image with laplink, but it blue screen on me, which has happened on two different computers running windows 10- 64 bit professional. With my desktop, it is (was- keep reading :)) hit or miss whether it wil successfully start up, though it takes about 15 minutes. It would usually do if I cold booted the machine. I would remove the power plug from the back, drain the rest of the power with the power button, then wait several minutes, then plug it back into the desktop, turn it on and that it would successfully start eventually. But, now it won;t. It will try to start up, take about 15 minutes, then I get the rotating circle of dots with a black screen, and eventually that will stop rotating/the computer freezes. I have tried to cold boot it three times now, all them have ended like I just described.

Since I can't get into windows on my desktop, I am writing this on my laptop, As I mentioned above, I tried to mount the image, it blue screened on the laptop as well. I tried to convert the omg to a vhd file, but I got a message saying it thinks there is some damage to the omg and if I wanted to continue, Since I can't boot up my desktop, I can't make another image. IIRC laplink said the images you can mount are no longer explorable/viewable like a hard drive image, so in that case they'd have to be vhd to be mounted in disk management in order to explore them.

Maybe there still is a way to boot into it to make another image, safe mode? Or booting from a flash drive which in turn could give me access to the main hard drive?

·
5,578 Posts
Why don't you explore the Acronis image and forget about laplink? It's amazing how you insist on using the problematic laplink. Besides, the installation you're wasting time on is clearly hosed. As has been said before, you're better off with just a backup of important data and NOT the crippled OS. As long as you have a copy of your data, go ahead with the clean installation. I don't know what you expect to use a system image of a hosed installation for. It's like saving rotten eggs.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,689 Posts
If you have a full backup with Acronis done then that really is all you need to copy out files and data. With a damaged image file for certain it won't retore to a new drive so you need to make up your mind the best way to do this anyway is install Windows, then install your programs and then transfer your files and data for the best running pc. As Stan suggests Laplink is a flawed program and super expensive waste of time in my opinion also and I am surprised Acronis would even copy it frankly as Acronis usually will not do that on a less than perfect drive.

81 - 100 of 182 Posts